7 5 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Copy from / to USB3 drive slows down complete System

HP Recommended
z440 E5-1650v4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

we got 3 identical z440 worstations here an since we installed win10 pro 64 we got massive problems with the usb performance. When copying from internal drive to connected usb stick or drive the whole systems slows down an you cant use mouse or keyboard because of dropouts. Same probleme when copying from external drive to internal or external drive. it doesent matter wich usb port you use (front, rear, usb2/3)...

All drivers are up to date, bios too.

Win10 was installed fresh (no upgrade).

Does anyone know what can cause this weird problem?

Edit: I doesent matter what kind of drive you use (aktive/passive hdd, sticks...).

Regards,

Johannes

2 REPLIES 2
ttv
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i figured it out by myself.

We had monitors with usb-hub connected an even if the monitor wasnt used as usb hubs, they slowed down the systems. Afteer disconnecting the usb-cables everything worked normal.

Regards,

Johannes

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,510 4,493 412 946
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

slow usb performance can be caused by several things with one common issue being the wrong driver being installed

if the wrong driver was/is installed the usb port may shift from "DMA" mode which is vary fast to "CPU" I/O mode which is very slow and processor intensive as the cpu rides heard on each and every byte xfered, unlike "DMA" which manages the xfer without any cpu help once the handshaking between the devices id finished

i would open task manager, start a usb xfer and then look at the copy task/process and note cpu resources in use

if normal let us know and we'll go from there

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation