Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z420 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Could I upgrade my HP Z420 to 64GB Ram?

I have only 6GB ram installed from factory. when I got it in 2014.

I am planning to upgrade tomorrow to whatever maximum RAM i could install,

Please I need your best advise ASAP.

I will use my PC in Davinci Rsolve 14.

I am Running now on Windows 10

Thank you very much

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

My best advice to you is to slow down for a bit.  What you are asking about is more nuanced than you might think.

To give you good advice we need to know what version of the Z420 you have.... is it a version 1 or a version 2?  You can get that info by looking at the boot block date in BIOS, pretty much the first page you see has it.  Or, tell us what your original processor was from HP... if it was a "v2" Ivy Bridge processor then you have the later boot block date, which opens more options.

Why is this essential?  Memory for that workstation comes in different speeds and you don't want to make the mistake of buying that much of the wrong stuff.  You might also want to upgrade your processor and that can be quite affordable now used off eBay depending on the motherboard's version.  There is a lot of info in here if you want to review that issue.  Brian, Bambi and MothaJ can help fine tune your processor options based on your motherboard version and the type of computing you focus on.

Let us know your boot block date and/or your current processor.

HP Recommended
Thank you and i will follow your advice sir!
HP Recommended

@robertelijaH wrote:

Could I upgrade my HP Z420 to 64GB Ram?

I have only 6GB ram installed from factory. when I got it in 2014.

I am planning to upgrade tomorrow to whatever maximum RAM i could install,

Please I need your best advise ASAP.

I will use my PC in Davinci Rsolve 14.

I am Running now on Windows 10

Thank you very much

Yes, you can upgrade to 64GB RAM.

I had 64GB in my Z420 - this was a 2013 bootblock / 'v2' machine and I was running 8x8GB 1866Mhz DDR3 ECC Registered modules. If you have a 2011 / 'v1' machine or a v2 machine but a running a v1 processor you will be limited on to memory speed to 1600Mhz. I bought the kit on ebay from a German memory store - 'superfonse2000'.

WIth registered RAM it may actually be the case that you can install more than 64GB but I have not tried this myself - perhaps someone more knowledgeable or who has tried this can comment.

I would stick to 64GB and in any case make sure that the memory you buy is in matched kits. Also bear in mind that memory prices have gone up quite a bit lately - mainly for DDR4 but there is also a spillover effect to DDR3 prices so it is unlikely that pricing for these large memory kits will now be as competitive as it once was.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.