Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
DPS-600UB

Hi all.

I have a DPS-600UB power supply that is supposed to be faulty. Should the power supply power up if I bridge pin 8 on the

connector to one of ther GND pins. Pin 17 does have the 11V standby on it.

Cheers

Rob

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

why are you even asking this question?

HP Recommended

Because I have a power supply that may be broken , but I don't have the motherboard to plug it into.

Should it power up if I short out pin8 to ground.

Currently it doesn't , but I don't want to waste time trying to find a fault if there is something else that is also required.

Rob

HP Recommended

and even if it powers up, how do you know it's working right?  do you have a motherboard/cpu/ram that you can possibly destroy just hanging around?

risking 100.00 in parts to check a 30.00 power supply that you have been told is bad  is not cost efective

while there do exist ATX compatable power supply testers, HP uses non standard power supplies on many systems that thes testers will not work with

HP Recommended

All I asked was would it power up. You are obviously incapable of answering that.

HP Recommended

i cant answer if a power supply that you have been told is defective will power up because i have no idea what the problem within the supply is,  and  your last reply stating that i should somehow know this is rather short sighted on your part

HP Recommended

I don't understand where the issue is.

If the supply was working and I short pin 8 to ground , would it power up.

If it is supposed to,  and mine doesn't, then I know it is definately faulty..

Rob

HP Recommended

again just because a power supply power up does not mean it's working correctly

since the DPS-600UB supply is from a z420 workstation, the supply has a builtin self test

also note that this supply is not a ATX standard pinout, it uses a HP custom power supply pinout

take the time to read the service manual hp provides for how to do this simple test

To test the power supply:
  1. Unplug the AC power.
  2. Remove the power supply.
  3. Plug in AC power and verify the following:
    • If the green BIST LED on the rear of the workstation is illuminated and the fan is spinning, the power supply is functional.
    • If the green BIST LED is not illuminated or the fan is not spinning, replace the power supply.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04205252

HP Recommended

Once again , I only have the power supply  , nothing else.

I realise that just because it powers up does not mean that it is working properly , but that

is not what I asked!!

Never mind , I'll find the info somewhere else....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.