StevOnehundred
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Deskpro EXM original dual-boot config?

HP Recommended
Compaq Deskpro
Other

Having recently acquired an ancient Deskpro EX (EXM/P800/20c/6/128cn UK), I was wondering what the original layout of the operating systems was on this machine?

I've been able to deduce that it was supplied with a dual install of NT 4 Workstation and 2000 Professional on a 20GB drive - would I be right in thinking that NT4 was installed on a 2GB FAT16 partition and 2K would have taken the rest of the drive on an NTFS partition? Does that seem correct for the standard layout?

Any clues would be appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
DGroves
Level 11
4,482 4,465 406 933
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't think this system was shipped as a dual booting setup, but if it was shipped with a user selectable OS

the drive was configured to allow you to select either OS when first turned on

and the setup then configured the selected OS and removed the other OS

but from what i see in the quick specs for this series  it shipped with NT 3.5.1 (not 4.0) and the listed OS's  were

DOS, win9x, NT 3.5.1

however there may be a updated quicspec which might list NT 4.0 but i am unable to locate such a spec sheet

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/Getdocument.aspx?docname=c04282287

StevOnehundred
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the info, that pdf you linked to does indeed, on page 6, state '...End-user must make a one-time selection between Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000...' - so all is now clear!

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation