Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ProDesk 600 G2
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

So I am doing an upgarde on an old HP proDesk 600 G2.  Installed a new SSD.  Installed a fresh Win 7 Pro x64.  Loaded all drivers and upgraded the BIOS.  

The issue I am having is I can not load and PCIe card into the computer and have Windows recognize it.  All of the PCIe slots are checked in BIOS.

I have tried about 5 diffrent devices and none of them works.

Is there a setting in the BIOS I am missing or is the Motherboard bad?

Any help/thoughts appreciated.

I

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

A few things..... first I'd try setting the BIOS to factory defaults.  I have not worked with these business class HP PCs so I don't know the BIOS in detail but I believe it is standard that HP uses that option in most if not all of its workstations and business class PCs so you can get back to correct basics.  You can leave them at that thereafter or fine tune if you know what you are doing in BIOS, but only tune after you have things up and running properly.

There is a part of BIOS in workstations under the Security section where one can turn off specific motherboard chipsets/components and those by default are all turned on.  You can see if some prior owner has turned off something.  Also, there are settings for each PCIe slot that can be messed with and that might have happened.  In workstations at least there is no "check" of a box for PCIe slots.  There are multiple options and default is the one to use generally.  Hopefully step 1 above should take care of these issues.

Finally, there are some BIOS settings that if not set properly to begin with can result in a clean OS build not installing some critical drivers and those end up being missing thereafter.  This is why it is best to set BIOS to factory defaults before each clean install.  Having storage set mistakenly to IDE rather than RAID + AHCI (or equivalent) in BIOS is an example that can bork a clean install.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

I did try resetting the bios back to factory defaults and nothing happened.

I have already tried turning on/off specific PCIe ports.  There are no option settings for each individual PCIe port.

Are you saying UNCHECK the box next to each PCIe port to get it to work?

The only option for IDE/RAID-AHCI is ‘Legacy Support Enable and Secure Boot Disable’ for Windows 7.

There is something I missing but cant seem to find it!!!

HP Recommended

Well, that is nothing like with similar era workstations, so the prior input is of zero value...

HP Recommended

set bios to defaults, leave pcie slot settings as is (do not change)

make sure IDE/RAID-AHCI is set for ‘Legacy Support Enable (necessary for HD support on non UEFI config)

and confirm Secure Boot Disable’ if using Windows 7 is enabled (required for legacy  BIOS install)

you can not install windows to a "GPT" formatted drive, and the drive must be under 2Gig due to hardware and bios restrictions of a legacy system

you can only use a GPT disk, or a disk larger than 2Gig as a non booting DATA drive

you must have a UEFI enabled bios with legacy support enabled, and win 8 or later to install a bootable disk greater than 2Gig 

secure boot is optional under UEFI win 8/10

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.