Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elite 8300
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I went to update Win 7 to 10 and had to do a restore when the process crashed.  I backup all of my files and got the OS to update.  I used HP Recovery Manager because it says it backs up files and programs.  I see the program files but not the system32/config folder.  Is the registry backed up or have I lost Office?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Supposedly the upgrade process from W7 to W10 includes the ability to roll back to W7.  You'll need to read up on that.  The "Recovery" process is very different than that, having to do with recovering a HP-created installation that was similar to what came with the original workstation.   That has some value, but has nothing to do with subsequent installs of software such as Office.

When I do a careful W7 to W10 upgrade with the intent to save all the programs etc. I know there is risk and I do a clone of the original before I try the upgrade.  I also do lots of cleaning and optimization of the original build.  I have been impressed lately with how well the upgrade preserves the other programs.  We run quite clean W7 installs to start with, so that helps.  Sorry to hear your bad news....

HP Recommended

I understand the recovery process and that it restored to factory conditions. What I'm trying to find out is if the backup process captures the registry files.

HP Recommended

Your registry entries change as you choose your settings and add programs and features.  Those changes are not captured by the Recovery process.  The Recovery installer media will set the registry entries back to what they were on the day you first turned on your workstation, fresh from the factory (or to the day your Recovery kit was made on).

Some HP workstations have had a long run..... like the Z620, for example, including the version change from v1 to v2.  I've found the Recovery media for the later v2 workstations works just fine on the v1 Z620s also.  In that case the later Recovery install is more up-to-date.  There always is some updating that needs to be done.... more if you're using an old Recovery set.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.