Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
photowriters
Level 1
15 8 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Do support alerts for Z620 and Z640 workstations apply to my Z600 workstations?

HP Recommended
Z600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am the registered owner of three HP Z600 workstations, and I get "Critical Alerts" for things like this all the time:    

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-z420-workstation/5225033/swItemId/wk-2...

But since they never list the Z600 model, I don't know if they apply to my Z600s or not, so, I don't know whether I should continue to ignore them of get my shorts in a knot or not (pun intended). I run either Windows 7 or 10 64, not Linux, so it's reasonable to assume the "Critical Alert" for the Linux BIOS above does not apply to me, but what about the alerts that are not operating system specific?

If an alert does not apply to a Z600 why do I keep getting them?

If an alert says it applies to a Z620 and/or Z640 but does not specifically list a Z600 model, should I continue to ignore them, or should I run frantically in circles screaming and shouting about my callous disregard of earlier "Critical Alerts" and when I calm down manically sift through all the Z600, Z620, and Z640 CAs installing each one in order?

3 REPLIES 3
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
24,975 24,626 2,874 10,646
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@photowriters, welcome to the forum.

You should manically/frantically run around in circles. :TongueOut:

On a more serious note, you should read them to assure they don't pertain to your exact model and operating system.  In the instance of the one that you provided in the link, it was for Linux; not Win 10.  Therefore, it would not effect your computer.  Installing an incorrect update can do more harm that good.  Actually, if it is not for your computer it will most likely not install and will tell you so.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
0 Kudos
photowriters
Author
Level 1
15 8 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The Linux issue was pretty clear, but in 5+ years I have not seen a single alert that said anything about the Z600 model in the heading. By saying what you've said are you confirming that some alerts that do not mention the Z600 in the title or heading do apply to the Z600 and/or that sometimes the fact that it applies to the Z600 is buried in the text?

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,483 4,466 406 934
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

and since the z600 has been out of extended support/carepack support for over 5 years, your not going to see any patches/updates for this model comming from HP

the bios patch you linked to for spectre was/is a rare thing and not likely to repeat itself, and even then intel has limited patches to cpu's made in the recent past

however the z600 does use some hardware (such as the audio and networking chip) that were/are used on later models that may still be under support if you take the time to identify these parts/models you can use the updates from them on your z600 just be aware that while they will install, they have not been fully tested on your z600 so there might be issues

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation