Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm thinking about getting a Vega 56, and I already have a 6-8 pin adapter for the first 8 pin. I'm asking if I could use a 2x SATA - 8 pin adapter to supply the additional power, but I'm not sure if the SATA rails are strong enough. I have the 600w PSU

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

The ATX standard from a PCIe auxiliary power supply cable is 75W at 12VDC, and the ATX standard for a PCIe x16 video card slot is another 75W coming up from below.  HP engineering is above ATX standards.... the Z420 slot is good for 75W, but the cable is rated to 18A at 12VDC.  That is, P = I x V... P = 18A x 12VDC ... power = wattage = 216 watts via the cable.

The card you noted specs out at wanting 210W "typical", and the PSU recommendations from ATI for the workstation is 650W.  SSDs draw less power than the HDDs the Z420 was engineered for, and with that 18A current capacity over the HP supplemental PCIe power cable you would appear to be fine unless you're drawing significant power elsewhere.  Breathing room is built in.

On this forum we have posted about the special HP cable adapters for their power supplies..... 1 HP PCIe 6-pin supplemental cable to 8-pin adapter, for example.  You don't want to use a cheap generic one... they are not all the same.   I'd find one made by HP for this purpose.  They know their engineering and built the adapter to those specifications.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.