Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I’ve upgraded from a e5-1660 v2 to a e5-1680 v2. After new cpu install it is only showing 6 cores and giving 921 front usb error on boot. Bios is up to date. Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Fresh windows install did the trick. Thanks for the help. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

What is your Z420's boot block date, from BIOS?  That is, is it a version 1 or a version 2 Z420?

Did you get your processor from a reputable seller?  There have been some scams in the past for these previously very expensive processors....  There are "Q" versions that are pre-release "qualification" versions of the processors that can have their stainless laser-etched  lids switched, and those generally don't work as well as the true post-release versions.

HP Recommended

it’s a version 2 boot block. As for being reputable, it’s hard to say. This was purchased off eBay. Using intel diagnostic software it passes all test still showing 6 cores using 85w. I’ve swapped the 1660 back in, which is operating normally though the error 921 remains. 

HP Recommended

the front usb header cable is not connected correctly to the motherboard you either have it swapped 180 degrees  or only on one row of pins or two or more pins are exposed (header not on pin one/two but pins three/four

HP Recommended

I’ll double check when I shut it down this afternoon. I didn’t unplug the front usb header but maybe I bumped it while rearranging cables. I’ve been in contact with the seller, they’ve had me run every test, intel or otherwise. No luck. Adamant it tested fine when shipped, which to be fair it’s still testing fine only showing 6 cores. Bios is set properly, up to date, and msconfig is only giving option for 12 logical cores. 

HP Recommended

I'd now do the long version of resetting CMOS.  Unplug from any power, disconnect all peripherals including mouse/keyboard, remover motherboard battery, push and hold power on-button for 30 seconds, push and hold CMOS reset motherboard button 30 seconds, wait 1 hour, repeat x 1.  You want to drain off any capacitor charge everywhere.  This will ensure it is set back to factory defaults.  Some settings can get "stuck" in CMOS and this approach can unstick them.  I had something like this happen with a X5690 being placed into a Z400 way back, and only 4 of the 6 cores were being seen.  This got me properly to 6 cores on that build.

HP Recommended

Thank you! I’ll try that and a fresh windows install. 

HP Recommended

Fresh windows install did the trick. Thanks for the help. 

HP Recommended

Great!  Did you also reset the CMOS?

HP Recommended

Yup, reset the cmos first however it didn’t help. Possible I didn’t wait long enough though. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.