Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Elite 8300 CMT B8V01UT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows 10 Pro 64bit v1803

Current BIOS K01 V02.05 - attempted to upgrade with HPQ Flash in Windows but log indicates it failed.

When using restart function from within Windows, machine takes about 80 seconds after exiting Windows to begin the restart process. That is, after "Restart" is selected, machine immediately begins the restart process. Windows exits within a few seconds and all goes black.

At this point the machine seems to hang. Power button remains green, fans stay running, no HDD activity. After approx 75 seconds, HDD light flashes momentarily. 5 seconds later OS begins restart process at normal speed.

Can't find any BIOS settings that immediately stand out as hampering the restart process.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

i suspect the bios update will resolve the delay issue,  you might want to check the bios for boot from network, boot from usb/cd/HD options to see if they reduce the delay

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

so you updated the bios, and the system now will boot into the original bios without any problems, but windows itself will not load?

if the above is the case, look at the HD settings and note if set for IDE or SATA or AHCI+ Raid it's possible the failed update reset the setting try all of them and see if it boots, if not try a  system repair using the windows setup files

please list the SPxxxxx of the file you used to try to update the bios.

you should never update bios from within windows, either use the DOS /USB key option or if your bios has this option,... update from within the bios itself

HP Recommended

so you updated the bios, and the system now will boot into the original bios without any problems, but windows itself will not load?

The update failed, however, the system boots normally. I'm posting this from the machine in question.

The following is from the hpqFlash log file:

2018/08/13 13:40:20.387|000085E8|Information|CCpqCIMIntf::FlashRom|***** Start FLASHING *****
2018/08/13 13:40:20.450|000085E8|Information|CCpqCIMIntf::FlashRom|Start Saving Original BIOS Contents
2018/08/13 13:44:23.552|000085E8|Information|CCpqCIMIntf::FlashRom|End Saving Original BIOS Contents
2018/08/13 13:44:23.552|000085E8|Information|CCpqCIMIntf::FlashRom|Start flashing (Write)  Attempt #1
2018/08/13 13:44:23.661|000085E8|Information|CCpqCIMIntf::FlashRomImage|Start Flash Rom Image (Write)
2018/08/13 13:45:34.968|000085E8|Warning    |CCpqCIMIntf::ClearFlashInProgress|ClearFlashInProgress(): failed. hr = 0x0, dwRetCode = 0xD
2018/08/13 13:45:34.968|000085E8|Warning    |CCpqCIMIntf::FlashRomImage|FlashRomImage: ClearFlashInProgress returns bStatus2 = 0, dwErrCode2 = 13
2018/08/13 13:45:34.984|000085E8|Information|CCpqCIMIntf::FlashRomImage|End Flash Rom Image (Write), bStatus = 1
2018/08/13 13:45:35.078|000085E8|Information|CCpqCIMIntf::FlashRom|End flashing (Write)  Attempt #1
2018/08/13 13:45:35.078|000085E8|Information|CCpqCIMIntf::FlashRom|***** END FLASHING PROCESS *****
2018/08/13 13:46:25.843|000085E8|Information|ChpqFlashApp::InitInstance|Flash has completed.  System will be restarted automatically
2018/08/13 13:46:25.921|000085E8|Information|ChpqFlashApp::ExitInstance|Exit hpqFlash:  Return Code = 0xbc2
2018/08/13 13:46:25.937|000085E8|Information|ChpqFlashApp::ExitInstance|--- END HPQFLASH SESSION ---

please list the SPxxxxx of the file you used to try to update the bios.

SP88543

you should never update bios from within windows, either use the DOS /USB key option or if your bios has this option,... update from within the bios itself

Both options were provided in the README file with the update.

Any idea regarding the restart time?

Many thanks for your help!

HP Recommended

what is your current bios revision? early revisions before 2.99  must first install the intermediate bios v2.99 before installing the latest 3.06

the above information is from a previous poster and my reply to him. if you use this forums "search" feature you can access many helpfull posts from previous posters and possibly get your answer without asking  in a new post

i recomend you try updating the bios again from dos/usb key using the information above, and if still having a problem try resetting it to defaults, using the clear "CMOS" button by powering off remove pwr cord, press pwr button for 7 sec then  press reset cmos button or remove the cmos battery and after 10 min reinstall cmos and reboot. enter bios and check options are configured corect for your needs/hardware then reboot into windows

HP Recommended

Many thanks Dave.

I'd rather forego the BIOS update for now if possible. 

What do you think about the restart time issue? Please see the OP for details.

HP Recommended

i suspect the bios update will resolve the delay issue,  you might want to check the bios for boot from network, boot from usb/cd/HD options to see if they reduce the delay

HP Recommended

Ah...I was afraid of that, which is why I attempted to update the BIOS in the first place.

Ok many thanks. I'll give that a shot tomorrow and we'll see how it goes.

I appreciate your help so far!

HP Recommended

Well done...the BIOS update resolved the issue.

Many thanks for your assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.