Level 2
11 8 1 1
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Elite 8300 sff leaves display with power on..then a loud fan noise

HP Recommended
Elite 8300 sff
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Elite 8300 sff leaves display @ certain interval while power is on..and then psu fan starts  loud spinning noise.Initially we tried smps swapping..but the issue reappeared after 2 days of normal functioning.Eventually changing the MB fixed the problem..But I am not sure if MB change was the ultimate  fix.Any guess?

5 REPLIES 5
DGroves
Level 11
4,688 4,662 440 990
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

please tell us just how we can make a educated guess based on the information you gave

i don't think that i (or anyone eles) can

bottom line, new motherboard resolved the problem,.........case closed

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
SachinCKadam
Author
Level 2
11 8 1 1
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Well..Thanks for prompt response..I think scientific view has no boundary.. MB changed..case closed..right..but if the same symptoms occurred in 2 identical models at a short gap..should force us to find the root cause..could be achieved with bios reset/firmware update..I mean @card level..if anyone couldn't do it..no question.. but luckily I am not amongst them..any other clues r still welcome..
SachinCKadam
Author
Level 2
11 8 1 1
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Recently I encountered with a similar  issue. The issue is slightly different than the one I discussed earlier.Here Elte 8300 sff was not booting at all and just a loud noise by psu fan.But luckily cleaning the RAM edge connectors worked.

SachinCKadam
Author
Level 2
11 8 1 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi friends,

Sachin here..

met with a same issue again..but it's elitedesk 800g1 now..symptoms r same..

SachinCKadam
Author
Level 2
11 8 1 1
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Friends,Hope you are happy..

Just make sure twice before any upgrade..specially if it's bios update..as it may lead to a totally blank/black screen..plesea seek for the advice of experts or an experienced technician.One of my colleague at workplace ran into trouble after running bios update on a HP Probook.If you have remedy other than changing the board..please get back..

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation