Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Has anyone else had greater than 5% failure rates on EliteDesk 800 G1 hard drives? We have a rather LARGE amount of drive failures on these devices. We cannot be the only ones... we have over 900 of them and they have failed throughout the country...

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Call off the dogs George-p... I wanted to know what others are seeing with this.  We already have the proper support steps in play.

HP Recommended

Just wanted to chime in on this.  We ordered aprox 120 of the slimline units for one of our city libraries.  We initially had failures imagining 3 of every 10 units.  After working on them we were able to get all but 8 to image.  At that point I opened a case with support.  We tried various things and I was instructed to download the disk sanitizer program, burn it to a cd or usb and run it on one of the machines.  After booting from the disc and running the program - it failed with a write error, which is the same type of error we were getting on our imaging software (Ghost).

At that point HP sent a replacement drive for this one machine.  We replaced the drive and then imaged the PC - the imaging  process went perfectly.  I reported back to HP and they wanted us to try and load the factory image onto the drive of one of the remaining 7 systems, then if that worked run the disk sanitizer on it and then try our image.  Well - we loaded the factory image no problem, but disk sanitizer failed with a write error.

HP then sent 7 replacement drives which arrived today.  We started replacing the drives in the 7 machines.  The first machine imaged successfully - the next three failed with write errors.  I took two of the machines that had had the replacement drives installed and ran disk sanitizer on them - the program failed within the first two or three minutes with a write error.  I took another of the replacement drives before we had installed it in a machine and ran disc santizer on it.  The first time it failed, and I ran it again - it got further this time so I left it running - I guess we'll see in the morning whether or not it finished.

It appears as though there is some kind of issue.  I'm interested to see if there is a resolution to this situation for you.  I'm not sure what we're going to do if we are unable to get these PC's to image with the replacement drives we've been sent (HGST drives btw).  I may go out and just purhase a few drives and try to get them imaged as I can't really afford to have the machines down for much longer.

HP Recommended
I've also seen this problem, but it wasn't due to drive failure, although the problem appears that way. I've found that switching the hard drive to the second SATA port and the dvd drive to the third sata port that the errors no longer occur. Something is inherently wrong with the design of the first sata port.
HP Recommended

We too have had a few to fail within a month or two of being put to use. As far as we know there are no warnings or anything - the drive just fails and all data is lost. I tried moving the HDD to another 800, and then it causes the same error on the new computer.  

HP Recommended

Yes, the rather large company I work for has seen failures. To be frank I don't have very good results with Blue Label Western Digital Drives. Which seems to be the drives of choice on the ED800 G1. Here are the tests we have done to try and get this machine to stabilize. 

Using AHCI instead of IDE emulation, replacing the Western Digital drives with (New) Seagate drives, make sure to disable the Sata Power Option in the BIOS and finally making sure that UEFI drives and Legacy drives listed are in the correct order. I have noticed that by default on some G1 machines in legacy the drives are listed Drive 1 and then Drive 0.  

We tracked the problem machines down to one pallet of ED G1. So, I don't think it has been 5% however, it has still been an irritation. Interestingly enough the primary drive reports problems and then the drive will disappear or the problems at that point begin to occur on the secondary drive and the secondary dissappears.

Sometimes, I can right click on Computer and go to manage /  disk management / More Actions / and Refresh or Rescan the drives and the missing drive(s) reappear for a few hours to a few days. After all that we have done I still have approximately 6 machines no longer under warranty that continue to manifest this strange behavior. 

Additional: We updated the BIOS on these machine along with all the aforementioned adjustments. This appears to have helped a great deal. At this time I dont have any G1 machines that need help all are in the field. 🙂 Here's hoping they stay there.  

HP Recommended

We have the same problems. 

It is not clear what disk  drives HP purchased,  but with just five (5) units here, we have had three drive failures.

There is something wrong for sure.

Of course all this happens out of warrenty so I guess HP designed it well enough to get past that.

We have used HP products almost exclusively and have some units running for eight years no problems.  

Given this new developent we need to re-think the reliablity of HP products.  

Any ideas or suggestions on this let us know.  We are replacing drives with Western Digital Black drives.

We hope it is not some sort of thermal design flaw in EliteDesk units.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.