Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have hundreds of 8300 SFF machines in my environment which needs WOL enabled on them. I am looking for a way to do this through a script (preferrably powershell). I browsed through the root\hp\instrumentedbios but didnt find any classes that would enable me to enable WOL or even query its status. 

I would really appreciate it if someone could point out a way of achieving this. 

Thank you in advance!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended
Normally to enable WOL, we need to enable two things in BIOS.

1: Power >> Hardware Power Management >> Enable "S5 Maximum Power Saving"

and

2: Advanced >> Power-On Options >> Change "Remote Wake up Boot source" to "Remote Server"

Save the changes by pressing f10 and Exit the BIOS.

Reply with update.
HP Recommended

Hi everybody,

I think, in this case above is big mistake!

1: Power >> Hardware Power Management >> Enable "S5 Maximum Power Saving"

S5 Maximum Power Saving - must be disabled!

2: Advanced >> Power-On Options >> Change "Remote Wake up Boot source" to "Remote Server"

OK

3: Please check your network adapter settings in Windows! 

Local Area Connection > Click the Properties button > Configure button > Power Management:

WoL.jpg

This the only correctly way, how to wake your PC from LAN and worked for me OK.

If you have security settings on your switch, please check if WoL work correctly. In my case, I had some trouble with RADIUS security settings.

Best regards

HP Recommended

Hello, 

I disabled " S5 Maximum Power Saving".

I changed " Change "Remote Wake up Boot source" to "Remote Server" "

I checked " Allow this device to wake the computer" 

3.PNG

and I can't find wake on LAN option in Advance tab which I have attched. 

But I still not able to turn my computer on with " Netsupport school" software. I am using HP compaq Elite 8300.

Kindly do the needful.

Thank you 

HP Recommended

Take a look at the Advanced Settings tab in the BIOS, and check the 'Power-On Options'. in the menu that appears, under the 'Remote Wakeup Boot Source', make sure you select 'Remote Server' instead of 'Local Hard Drive'

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm having similar issues with an Elitedesk 800 G1 SFF. I have set the "Remote Wake up Boot source" to "Remote Server" in the BIOS. In Device Manager I've set the Wake On LAN packet to "Enabled" and the  " Allow this device to wake the computer" and in the Power Management have ticked "Allow this device to wake this computer", but still it steadfastly refuses to WOL!!

Have I missed something? I've got to say, I've worked with Dells for years and I've never had to go through so many hoops to try and get something that is so standard to work. WOL is a standard requirement these days, so it should be an absolute doddle to set up and work!!

HP Recommended

Like Ninja4IT said, you should also disable "S5 Maximum Power Savings".

This setting turns off all components when the PC is shutdown, and for WOL to work you need the NIC to stay on.  You should be able to see the lights on.  

The OS also needs to tell the NIC to go into WOL mode when it is shutdown, which is why you have all the settings in the Advanced and Power Management tabs, although the PM tab is mainly about wake-from-sleep.  This means you need to shutdown the OS gracefully, not just push the off button until it powers off.

The setting "Remote Wakeup Boot Source" is a red herring.   This is just telling the machine whether it should boot off hard disk (Local Hard Drive) or do a PXE boot (Remote Server).  Which you choose depends on your reason for WOL.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I did try all your suggested solutions but could not wake my computer up over the internet.

The light on NIC does not up when I turn off my computer.

Anyone succeded?

HP Recommended

There are settings in both BIOS and the NIC/LOM (Local area network On Motherboard chipset) settings that both need to be set correctly for this all to work.  I had that figured out years ago and found some of my notes from then.  A first step is to have the NIC/LOM active when the computer is fully off, and you can see that is the case when the NIC/LOM lights are on when all else is off.  I currently have my network interface settings to have the NIC/LOM hardware fully off when the workstation is off for security purposes.  Thus, the backplane has no flashing NIC/LOM LED lights going when the workstation is turned off.  You'd want your LEDs flashing even when your workstation is off, telling you the NIC/LOM is ready to go.... .

A useful tool once you get that figured out is to download the free SolarWinds Wake-On-LAN tool.  This is from back in time but still works fine, and you can put in stunt info and stunt email/phone number in the registration area and still get straight to the zipped download, HERE :

http://www.solarwinds.com/free-tools/wake-on-lan/registration

My notes are from the xw6400/xw6600 era... but this should still help you, and the top part is from SolarWinds about the tool.  The information will allow you to experiment until you get all your BIOS and OS settings right.  You need to set a static IP address at the target workstation, and also know its MAC address.  You run the SolarWinds tool on another computer inside your network to initiate the WOL message (so that might be another part of the issue for some.... a firewall if present needs to pass WOL messages).  I ran this tool within my home network from a non-static IP addressed workstation to target the static IP addressed workstation.  The targeted workstation was turned off but was configured in BIOS so that its NIC/LOM LED lights were active.  It was physically near enough that I could hear it boot up when tested with the SolarWinds tool, for troubleshooting ease.  Note that this tool is provided at no charge:

Wake-On-LAN tool details from SolarWinds:

• Generate a "Magic Packet" to remotely power on PCs attached to networks
  • Power on devices that are in sleep or power safe mode

"Need that one last document to finish a project from the beach, but being environmentally conscious you shut down your work PC?  With SolarWinds Wake-On-LAN, powering up a remote PC is no longer an issue.  When the remote network adapter hears a "Magic Packet" created for its unique MAC address, the network adapter alerts the computer to power up.

If Wake-On-LAN is enabled in the computer's BIOS settings, then the system will start up just as if the power button has been pressed.  When a device is shut down, its network interface card is still receiving power and keeps listening on the network for a magic packet to arrive – enabling Wake-On-LAN to do its magic."

From SDH:

To use the SolarWinds Wake-On-LAN utility you need to enter both the MAC and the static IP address of the target workstation.  When entering the MAC address do not use spaces or hyphens, but upper versus lower case does not matter.

Clicking the “Wake UP PC” button sends a "Magic Packet" to the target workstation.

WOL is shut off in BIOS for my usual HP workstation BIOS settings for security.  There are specific settings that need to be set both in BIOS and under the network adapter controls for enabling WOL.  The settings in BIOS and in the network control panel both need to be correct for this all to work.

To turn on WOL in my xw era HP workstation BIOS F10 into BIOS, go to Advanced tab, Device Options, S5 Wake on LAN, Enable, F10 to save, Escape to move back to Save Changes and Exit, F10 to confirm saving the changes, reboot.

HP Recommended

And, more.... this is from SolarWinds.  There are advanced tips in the post below on how to get WOL running.  The images can be seen after a moderator releases them.

Wake-On-LAN Remote Activate Utility

The SolarWinds free Wake-On-LAN utility has the ability to "power on" a PC remotely.  This is accomplished by the generation of a “Magic Packet” to remotely power on PCs attached to networks.  When the remote network adapter hears a “Magic Packet” created for it’s unique MAC address the network adapter alerts the computer to power on.  If  the Wake-On-LAN option has been enabled in the computer’s BIOS settings, the system will power on as if the power button had been pressed.  To accomplish this you will first need to ensure your PC is configured to accept a “Wake-On-LAN” remote command.  You must also identify the IP Address and MAC Address of the remote device.  When the device shuts down, its Network Interface Card (NIC card) is still receiving power, and keeps listening on the network for a 'magic' packet to arrive.  (SDH Edit:  You can tell that the network hardware is turned on properly when the workstation is turned off by looking for the flashing LEDs on the NIC or the LOM at the workstation's backplane).

The SolarWinds Remote Wake-On-LAN tool has the ability to send a "magic packet" and instruct the remote PC to power-on.

Getting Started

To get started launch the Remote Wake-On-LAN tools and enter the MAC Address and IP Address of the PC you want to "Wake-Up".  The MAC Address and IP Address can be determined opening a command prompt and typing the command "ipconfig /all" or on older system by typing the command "winipcfg".  You must use the correct target MAC and IP Address to be able to remotely locate and 'turn-on' a specific computer.

The Remote Wake-On-LAN tool will then send a series of "Magic Packets" to the target PC in an attempt to Power-On the device.  When the remote device receives the "wake-up" message and powers itself on, the following message is displayed.

3.jpg

The remote device is now powered on.

Configuring Your PC to Support Wake-On-LAN:

1.  BIOS Settings

Most computers will have Wake-ON-LAN disabled in BIOS by default.  The exact procedure for enabling Wake-ON LAN will be different with each computer manufacturer.  The general procedure is as follows:

1. Enter the BIOS setting screen during the computer’s power-on self-test.  (Sometimes F1, INS, or DEL keys are pressed to enter the BIOS settings)
  2. Within the BIOS screen, navigate to the “Power” settings
  3. Within the “Power Settings” screen look for settings related to “Power Up Control”
  4. Enable settings related to Power Up on PCI card, LAN, or Network
  5. Save and exit the BIOS settings

2.  Operating System (OS) Settings

Some Windows operating system drivers can enable the Wake ON LAN features of network adapters.  Under the adapters properties in Windows 2K, on the Power Management tab, check the Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby.

4.jpg

Also check the Advanced Setting table for any parameters related to Wake on LAN and Waking on “Magic Packets” and enable them.

5.jpg

Wake-On-LAN (WOL) Cable

Some computers with older PCI busses will not respond to a Wake Up signal via the PCI bus.  For Wake-On-LAN to work on these computers, a WOL cable must be installed between the Network Card and the Motherboard.  Because this requires opening the computer case, we recommend contacting your PC manufacturer for specific instructions.

Enabling Directed Broadcasts on your Network

If you are going to be sending WOL packets from remote networks, the routers must be configured to allow directed broadcasts.  This must be done for two reasons.  The first is since the PC is asleep it will not have an IP address and will not respond to ARPs from the router so only a local subnet IP broadcast packet is going be transmitted on the segment without an ARP.  Secondly, if there is a layer two switch between the router and the PC, which is true for most networks today, the switch does not know to which port the PC is physically connected.  Only a layer two broadcast packet will be sent out all switch ports.  All IP broadcast packets are addressed to the broadcast MAC address.

A Cisco router has IP broadcast packets enabled by default.  If IP broadcast packets have been disabled, the interface configuration will have the line “no ip directed-broadcast”.  If IP broadcasts are enabled, the line “no ip directed-broadcast” will not be present.

Wake-On-LAN Settings

There are settings for adjusting the parameters of the Remote Wake-On-LAN are as follows.  

Network Settings

6.jpg

From the Network Settings window you can specify the number of retries per packet to send as well as the duration between each packet.  These parameters are used to send the 'magic' packet to power-on the remote PC.  The standard setting is 2 retries per packet with a 6-millisecond delay between packets.  If you are attempting to "wake-up" a very remote PC (over 14 hops away) you may find it necessary to increase the number of retries as well as the inter-packet delay. 

Auto-Calc Broadcast Addresses

7.jpg

The SolarWinds Remote Wake-On-LAN tool utilizes the broadcast addresses to communicate to the remote device.  The default Mask is 255.255.255.0.  If your Subnet Mask is different you can adjust the slider bar and select the mask appropriate for your network. 

Auto-Monitor

8.jpg

The Auto-Monitor feature will automatically notify you when the remote PC finishes its Boot-up procedure.  This notification can be disabled by deselecting the check box.

Hints and Tips:

MAC Addresses - To determine the MAC address of your PC you can open a command prompt and type the command "ipconfig /all."  On older system you can use the "winipcfg" command.

IP Addresses - To determine the IP address of your PC you can open a command prompt and type the command "ipconfig /all."  On older system you can use the "winipcfg" command.

Save a trip to the office - If you're at home and need to remotely connect to a PC but the PC is turned off you can use the Remote Wake-On-LAN to remotely turn-on the PC.

Wake-On-LAN Frequently Asked Questions:

Q:     How do I configure my PC to accept Wake-On-LAN?

A:     Please refer to the Configuring Your PC section above for instructions on how to set-up     Remote Wake-On-LAN on your PC.

Q:     What is the “MAC Address” of my PC?

A:    The MAC Address is the Machine Address of the Network Interface Card (NIC), which connects your computer to the network.  The easiest way to determine the MAC Address is to install the SolarWinds Remote Wake-On-LAN tools and select the "What are this PC's MAC and IP Addresses?" from the File Menu.  You can also attain the MAC address and IP address by opening a command prompt and typing "ipconfig /all" or on older operating systems entering the command "winipcfg."

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.