Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Z4 G4
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My HP Z4 G4 takes 125 seconds before I can see the BIOS HP splash screen. This is occurring with and without a hard disk drive with an OS installed on it. As of today now, the BIOS version is up to date (P61 v01.75).

I have 2 others Z4 G4 of the same model and BIOS version and it takes 12 seconds before the logo appears; which seems is a normal delay to me

However, I doubt very much that the PC is defective, because I remember that the delay was normal before I changed some configurations.

I've reverted ALL of them to their initial value, but the problem persisted.

I've downgraded the BIOS version to an earlier one, but the problem hasn't disappeared. I've re-updated the BIOS to the most recent version, with the problem still present.

Next, I've Applied the Factory Defaults and Restored Security Settings to Factory Defaults from the BIOS to no avail.

Then I've replicated the setup of the functional PC to the problematic one. It didn't solved the problem.

I'm out of ideas...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I've opened a problem case at MyHPSupport.

A technician dispatched by HP came at my office: after multiple attemps at modifying the BIOS configuration, he finally replaced the motherboard.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

long boot times are usually due to having the onboard nics configured to network boot and the onboard SAS/SCSI controller rom loaded when no bootable devices are attached

note that this is not the same as having a non bootable device attached and the boot rom disabled

also having the ssd installed and not configured as a boot device will also increase the boot time

i suspect the delay(s) are due to the system looking for a boot device and timing out on each device before moving to the next device in the boot order

make sure the bootable device is the first device listed in the boot order

HP Recommended

Thanks Dgroves for your answer.

I've disabled both network cards from the UEFI boot order (boot from legacy devices is disabled), but the delay is still present.

It has to be noted that this delay occur before the splash screen appears, so before any attempt to boot from any devices.

HP Recommended

turn off the bios splash screen in the bios options and you can then actually "see" the boot sequence

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I have no such option in this BIOS.

HP Recommended

yes you do, please read the linked page of the service manual for your system, note the lines referring to the boot screen

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1413132/Hp-Z4-G4.html?page=45#manual

Verbose Boot Messages (enable/disable). Default is enabled.
Verbose boot shows additional logging information during the boot. mainly for debugging if something
goes wrong during bootup
HP Recommended

The "Verbose Boot Messages" is already enabled.

The screen remains blank for ~125 seconds, the splash screen appears for a fraction of a second and then boot to the OS.

HP Recommended

I've opened a problem case at MyHPSupport.

A technician dispatched by HP came at my office: after multiple attemps at modifying the BIOS configuration, he finally replaced the motherboard.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.