KenMarinaris
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Fan control issue

HP Recommended
HP 8200 USDT
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi guys. Just bought HP 8200 USDT computer and has some issues with its fans. BIOS has been updated to the newest one available on HP website.  Turbo mode is BIOS has been turned off.

Fans are noisy and operate and really high speed. I checked processor and integrated graphic temperatures, everything is OK. Now, there is fan speed control in BIOS (idle only, I think) but I have no idea how to set it correctly as I have only 6 star symbols and cannot input any numbers. I can change numbers of stars though.

Also I would like to change these 2 PWM fans to better Noctua ones but I would like to know if there is any point doing that as maybe I would be able to reduce fans' speed.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
DGroves
Level 11
4,700 4,674 442 994
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

your post lacks some need information.

you might want to state that this is  the minitower or microtower model

updated bios from what to what?

turned off turbo mode,........ why? the intel turbo bost is only active if the cpu stays within it's operating temptures that intel programed into the cpu itself disabling it will lower the performance without any real benefit

fans are noisy,...again noisy how? personal prefrence? or by using a DB meter, or by using the systems builtin mic jack and any audio program (place mic by system case and note sound level, the post numbers with snd appused and mic type)

lowering the fan speed can lead to heat related issues. before you atempt this install a cpu temp monitering program, and note it's readings at idle and while doing something cpu intensive. then change fans or fan speeds and again note both cpu tems. if the same your good if higher, then it's not recomended

you have 6 speed stepings represented by the stars, whats to understand? each star increases the default idle fan speed and the fans might also ramp up in speeds sooner the more stars you select.

fans are not just fans, you need to take into account the static pressure a fan is rated for along with the max rpm's

i recomend you compare the HP fan specs with the one you are considering using

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
KenMarinaris
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fans changed to Noctua ones much better quality and really quiet/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NF-A6-PWM-X-25/dp/B00VXTANZ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1536...

I will leave turbo mode off, I do not play on PC, consoles only. I do not need that be on.

Now only ntLte Windows 7 and my 8200 USDT is ready to  go.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation