SetFire
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fan speed

Hewlett packard xw4600 workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello, I recently bought a fan with speed control function. But in bios nowhere I can not find this option. Does my motherboard have this option? HP 0aa0h. Bios version v.01.13. This option is also not possible in any program.

3 REPLIES 3
Level 11
2,795 2,789 241 554
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fan speed

huh??....." I recently bought a fan with speed control function."

do you mean that you bought a 4 wire PWM fan?

the default system fan speed can be set from the bios under the thermal option as i recall this affects the case fans, not the cpu fan which is controled by a diffrent temp sensor

http://jp.ext.hp.com/lib/doc/manual/workstation/hp_workstation/WS_UG_xw4600_STRG_453080-001_screen.p...

also your bios is not the latest please update: current is   01.34 Rev. A  sp58068

Fix and enhancements:

The following fix has been made in BIOS version 1.22:
- While the implications of the issue are difficult to quantify, Intel has released a microcode update to resolve a problem when operating in 64-bit mode.

The following fix was made in BIOS version 01.21:
- Prevents a false thermtrip alert (two beeps) from being erroneously triggered while the workstation is shutting down.

The following enhancement has been made in BIOS version 1.34:
- Improves security of the BIOS by enhancing the security protocols of certain firmware functions.

note: once installed ,  you can not install previous bios builds

https://support.hp.com/za-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-xw4600-workstation/3429268

0 Kudos
SetFire
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fan speed

Yes yes, sorry 4 wire PWN, it is not a processor fan, just as you say, placed in the case. In bios thermal the only option is "fan Ilde mode" or will this option change after bios update?

0 Kudos
Level 11
2,795 2,789 241 554
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fan speed

the idle fan mode "IS" the bios setting that changes the system fans speed from low to high in several steps

if all of your case fans are allready running at max speed on system startup then the onboard temp sensor that is found in the power button harness has failed (2n222A transistor) and will need to be replaced or you can replace the entire cable

if you replace the transistor that is in the cable, note the emitter/base/colloctor leads of the original go to specific colored wires, make sure the replacement is connected the same way

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation