Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8000 Elite (AZ889AW)
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

What is the fastest possible processor that can be installed on a HP Compaq 8000 Elite (AZ889AW), as specified on the HP website? The motherboard or graphic card should not be changed, only the processor.

Thanks for any suggestion in advance.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the quickspecs for your PC.

http://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/content/specifications/Elite8000_datasheet.PDF

The supported processors can be found on pages 7 and 8.

HP Recommended

Thank  you, Paul_Tikkanen.

The computer already has a Intel E8400 (3.00 GHz, 6 MB L2 cache, 1333 MHz FSB), so I figure there is not much space for performance improvals, even when upgrading to the fastest possible Quad Core processor (Intel  Q9650 
3.0 GHz, 12M L2 cache, 1333 MHz FSB with vPro Technology ), correct?

HP Recommended

Your're very welcome.

I think the best quad core processor would bump up the performance somewhat over the E8400--if you can get one at a reasonable price.  It has twice the cores, and twice the L2 cache.

I like to use the Intel website to compare processor specs.  

They have a very convenient tool to use where you can look at each processor spec side by side.

https://ark.intel.com/compare/33910,35428

Coincidentally, I also have an 8000 Elite CMT.

Mine has the E8400 too, and I maxed out the memory to 16 GB and installed a SSD, and a Radeon HD 6570 graphics card.

It runs very nice with that equipment...I also upgraded from W7 Pro to W10 Pro.

I have never had any luck replacing the LGA processors.  Everytime I do it, I must not get the thermal paste right because when the processor is under load, the fan takes off like a jet plane.   That happened to me twice on processor upgrades on a dc7100 and dc7600.

So, I gave up trying to upgrade processors.  

I never had a problem with the older Pentium processor upgrades.

HP Recommended

Schlang,

RE: The HP Compaq 8000 Elite:  It appears from a few photos that were two different heatsinks, one is a low horizontal one with a fan blowing down to the CPU and the other is a vertical Steel, finned one with Copper pipes and a shroud to a case-mounted fan. The 65W processors may have used the hozizontal model and and 95W processors the vertical finned with shroud, or the the specification may have depended on the form factor.  Either way, when changing the processor to a more powerful one, consider the highest rated cooling solution available.

BambiBoomZ

HP Recommended

Thanks again for the input, Paul_Tikkanen & BambiBoomZ.

If the performance boost of the best possible Quadcore is only ~10-15%, I will not bother doing the upgrade. The computer is still working fine.

The Radeon HD6840 probably only makes a difference when watching high res movies and gaming, which is not required for this computer either. If I decide to upgrade it come day I will keep an eye on the heatsink, thank for that tip.

For now I figure I will leave everything as it is.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended

Thinking about this again...

It would probably be the best to replace the entire motherboard and processor to boost the performance. I have never replaced a motherboard though. Would this be a simple thing to do and if so, which combination would be a good one for ~$200 or so? Gaming is not required, just some overall improvements to feel a noticable difference compared to my E8400.

HP Recommended

I don't get into work like that.

I just buy an off lease PC with better hardware.

I'd like to tell you that a motherboard from the 8200 Elite CMT would be a direct replacement, but I am not positive it would be.

I have the 8200 Elite CMT.  Looks exactly like my 8000 Elite.

It seems to use the same case, and power supply as the 8000 Elite. 

Usually motherboards are sold without processors and heat sinks, so then you have to look for those too.

It's just easier for me to buy a whole new PC and give my old one away to good will or something.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Elite-8200-MT-i5-2400-3-10GHz-4GB-500GB-Win-7-Pro-1-Yr-Wty/192555420381?...

HP Recommended

Schlang,

RE: The HP Compaq 8000 Elite:  Checking Passmark baselines, the following are the top five in terms of CPU performance:

1.  Core 2Quad Q9650_____  4470

2.  Core 2Quad Q9550_____  4311

3.  Core 2Quad Q9550_____  4235

4.  Core 2Quad Q9550_____  4234

5.  Core 2Quad Q9550_____  4204

These two CPUs are interenesting in that Intel mentions the 9550 2.83GHz release as 1.08 and the 9650 3.00GHz- release as 3.08 -only two months later.  Both processors are 45nm and 95W.

The top Core2 Duo E8400 CPU performance = 2469, so there is a potential for up to 81% in terms of clock cycles per unit time.  If the system is strictly streaming, email, - no gaming- there may not be a noticable improvement. Faster drives will be more important and if the monitor is large and high resolution, look for a 6 or 7-series GTX. I have a Dell Dimension E520 using a  Core2 Duo E6700 2C@2.66Ghz and with 8GB RAM, a GT 440, and WD Blue 2TB media drive, for those uses, it runs perfectly well, running a 40" Samsung Smart TV.

BambiBoomZ

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.