Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
800G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I am having a very frustrating problem with one of the 800G2 desktop keyboard issue.

The PC is never switched off. User only logged out of Windows. Very often when she comes back to work on the next day, she find the login screen with multiple keypress on the password box and keyboard unable to respond until she reboot the PC. Noting will work (replugging the USB keyboard to other USB ports, plugging in another different USB keyboard, etc) until the PC is rebooted. Mouse works fine all the time.

I have changed the keyboard (USB), reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 10 (not using HP recovery) but the problem still persist. HP Diagnostic in BIOS did not find any problem with the keyboard.  

Anyone has any idea what the issue is? Is it a hardware or software problem? 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

what you are describing is a case where a running windows or application task/service/program has either crashed or consumed all available resources 

when you say you did a clean install, did you load anything besides the OS? this includes video drivers/printer/sound  you have installed

it's also remotely possible for this to be a ram issue but that's highly unlikely as this will usually show various symptoms while using the system

cooling can also be a issue but like the ram, it's unlikely but i would still check for dust buildup

HP Recommended

I have loaded printer drivers. All other drivers are windows default drivers. I have ran the RAM test using HP Diagnostics tool but it passed. 

It is funny how that is the only PC out of 50+ that exhibit this problem. All the PCs are joined to a domain. I am thinking whether this could be a user profile problem? 

The only things I have not tried are swapping the whole PC and deleting and recreating the profile. 

HP Recommended

yes, i would rename the current user profile and recreate a new one.

are you using roaming profiles by chance?

HP Recommended

Hi, @lornranger 

If it is an 800 G2 SFF or MT, see what happens if you use a PS/2 KB and mouse instead of USB ones.

HP Recommended

Try this experiment and don't change anything else before you have the answer to this:

Go into the Control Panel/ Power app and set the workstation to never go to sleep.  It is fine to have the display(s) be able to go to sleep but make sure the computer will not do that.  Give it a day or so..... you will know pretty soon if your issues are due to difficulties that arise when W10 comes back out of sleep.

Agree with Paul on the PS/2 approach also.  You can easily find HP PS/2 laser mice and keyboards brand new on eBay for quite reasonable costs.  All of my troubleshooting and clean builds start with both.... only after all is done do I shift over to USB mouse and keyboard.  For me at home I even have stuck with that for roughly half here.

Let us know....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.