Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
DL380 GEN9
Other

Hi,

I want to install a high end gaming graphics card on the server we have in our office. From what I read, the server fully supports professional grade graphics cards like Nvidia Quadro, Nvidia Tesla, Nvidia GRID, etc. Those cards are over priced and will not give me the performance I need or will give me the same performance as a high end GTX for 3-4 times the price. It didn't say anything about supporting gaming graphics cards but I saw a video on YouTube of some guy who installed GTX 960 on the exact same server and everything was working properly.

Right now I own an Nvidia GTX 980 Ti (on my desktop), so I don't mind trying it on the server before buying a 1080 Ti for it. The 980 Ti requires 2x8 pin for power, I tried placing it inside the server but it's too big, so I guess I need the secondary "riser kit" to be able to fit it inside, I know that I need the second CPU to be installed in order to add the second riser kit, we already have 2 CPUs. I think I will also need the cable from the 10 pin on the riser to 8x2 (16pin) on the card.

The server has 2 power supplies (2x800w).

The question is what do I need exactly to be able to install the GTX 980 Ti or the GTX 1080 Ti on the DL380 GEN9?

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

You may also want to post your question on the HPE Community Support Forum -- DL Servers section...

https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/bd-p/itrc-264#.WVlM9GaWzGg

HP Recommended

I've recently did just that - successfully installed GTX1080Ti into HP380gen9. 

There's still not much info about that on the web, so I'll share my own experience:

1. I already got two raisers, but no power cables. Raisers are documented more-or-less OK, so just look through the docs to understand your options.
  2. Concerning cables - I've tried to contact HP support first. Without much luck. So, I had to try Aliexpress instead.
  3. My first attempt was unsuccessful - I've purchased gen8 cable, assuming it's compatible (The 8 is almost equal to 9, isn't it?) It's not - I only got some pre-bios diagnostic-led error, related to power.
  4. Next, I've purchased the correct gen9 cableand it worked.
  1. There's not much free space for GPUs - only reference-design (founders edition or similar or smaller) GPUs are suitable.  Non-reference designs tend to be wider, and that's a problem. Personally, I had gigabyte GV-N108TTURBO-11GD, which is ~5mm wider than the reference (H=36.6 L=270 W=116.6 mm, as compared to H=40 L=266.7 W=111.15 mm). And I had to remove these 5mm (near those  unreasonably large server "roof" panel holder)  to make it fit into the central slot. And even after that - it is not possible to close the "roof". Luckily, there's another server above, so the "roof panel" is not needed. And there's effectively no chance to make it fit into the other slot.
  1. Consumer GPUs tend to have power connectors "on the side", not "on the end". And that might be a problem as well. But AFAIU, reference-design GPUs should fit.

HP Recommended

Hello, could you send me the link to this Gen9 cable? Unfortunately I'm not able to find it. Thanks!

HP Recommended

@greky, 

I've sent you a link via PM (not sure if posting links is allowed here).

@all
Just google "DL380 G9 gpu power cable" - it should work.

HP Recommended

Hi Lezz. Would love to ask some advice around this. I also have an HP proliant DL580 gen9 which is large enough for 5 full size cards but I am uncertain about the PciE power cables and if it will work with 1080ti gtx FE gpu? How can I contact you via PM ? My email is [edited]. Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi Nikola_tesla,

I can only suggest you to check default configurations, suggested by HP - whether or not they have options with like 5 GPUs 250-300W each. If they do have such options, you should be able to create cables yourself (Soldering is the most simple part here).

But you might also run into limitations, related to GPU physical dimensions, power connector location and etc. Without trial&error it would be really difficult to tell whether or not they would actually fit.

I doubt I would be able to add anything useful via PM.

HP Recommended

Hi guys, 

its there any sort of manual with pinout readout of the  10pin  to  8 pin+ 6 pin cable ? 

I have ordered gen8 cable but looking on your images of gen8 its NOT the same... 
I have here even gen7 cable... 
that mean my gen8 are not with same as you showcased in the link. 

And cant find any details on the pinout of the HP DL 580  - daughter board component 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, I did the same mistake (see above).

There's no official documents describing that pinout. I've looked for them for quite a while before purchasing that gen9 cable.

But now you can simply take a look at my photos. Yellows are +12V, blacks are GND.

Absolutely no warranty, of course.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.