Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I use Linux on my workstation, but need to install Windows torun a certai n program. Here are the steps I take:

1. Swapped out all my system drives so the only drive left in the workstation is a blank SSD.
  2. Download Windows 10 iso and create a bootable USB.
  3. Download and flash latest version of BIOS (J61 v03.94).

Whenever I boot to the USB I get the error "BlInitializeLibrary failed 0xc00000bb".

Searching around the internet there are people facing the same issue, but many of them seem to have multiple GPU setups, whereas I only have a single GPU (EVGA GTX 1060).

I have no version of Windows which I can use to use the Windows Media Creation tool, as other answers have suggested. I have also verified that I can boot to Linux OS through a USB.

Some replies on the Microsoft forums (e.g., https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/bi-initializelibrary-failed...) provide solutions via the _Startup Repair_ screen, but I do not have that option as my machine boots directly to a black screen with the error code.

Many of the suggested fixes on the Microsoft suggest using a USB to repair the installation, but that doesn't apply to my problem as I am trying to just _install_ the OS on my system.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I finally got the install to work. Here's what I did:

• Create a bootable usb with WineUSB on Linux. I was previously creating this with UNetBootIn on Mac OSX. For whatever reason, the drive created on OSX would _not_ work, while the one created on Linux _did_ work.
  • Run install under legacy booting options, _not_ UEFI. My motherboard has the boot block from 2011, and I have run UEFI before with this system, but apparently the Windows 10 version did not agree with my machine. If I did try to install under UEFI, it would instead take me to a driver installation page and say that there were no drivers available to install.
  • After the second step, I had to reset my boot order to make sure that the SSD was going to be booted _before_ the USB.

Everything else worked as planned, had to grab some drivers that Windows couldn't find, etc. But have a working system now.

My only worry is how the legacy booting option may have changed my GRUB configuration, but I can deal with that issue later.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

try powering system off. remove power cord, press pwr button for 6 sec (to drain power supply)

remove cmos battery, wait 10 sec, press cmos reset button (this method insures factory  bios defaults are loaded)

reinstall cmos battery, pwr cord and power up, enter bios and set time/date (make no other changes, unless using raid)

you might also want to re-download the win 10 , and install to a diffrent usb key

HP Recommended

I finally got the install to work. Here's what I did:

• Create a bootable usb with WineUSB on Linux. I was previously creating this with UNetBootIn on Mac OSX. For whatever reason, the drive created on OSX would _not_ work, while the one created on Linux _did_ work.
  • Run install under legacy booting options, _not_ UEFI. My motherboard has the boot block from 2011, and I have run UEFI before with this system, but apparently the Windows 10 version did not agree with my machine. If I did try to install under UEFI, it would instead take me to a driver installation page and say that there were no drivers available to install.
  • After the second step, I had to reset my boot order to make sure that the SSD was going to be booted _before_ the USB.

Everything else worked as planned, had to grab some drivers that Windows couldn't find, etc. But have a working system now.

My only worry is how the legacy booting option may have changed my GRUB configuration, but I can deal with that issue later.

HP Recommended

Buenas noches tuve este mismo error al realizar un cambio de sistema operativo de W7 a W10, en equipo de escritorio Hp pro 6300 y despues de probar todas las soluciones en los diferentes tutos y foros, lo resolvi de la siguiente forma, utilice un Usb con W10, y al llegar paso elegir donde instalar elimine todas las particiones del disco duro y procedi a crear una sola y alli realice la instalaciòn, y listo se llevo a cabo con exito. no esta de mas que hagan esta prueba ya que llegue al punto hasta de actualizar bios a traves de usb  versiones anteriores y actuales y nada de eso me funciono asi que espero les sirva. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for visiting our English HP Support Community. We are only able to reply to posts written in English. To insure a quick response it would be advisable to post your question in English. The following links are here to assist you if you prefer to post in the following Language Community.

Spanish: HP Comunidad
Portuguese: HP Comunidade
Chinese: HP 社区

Thank you for your understanding

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.