Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Optiplex 760 ms
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have recently bought an Optiplex 760 ms (Dell). I have upgraded the ram to 8gbs works fine. Now i want to upgrade the graphics card. A buddy of mine gave me a EVGA GeForce 8400 Gs Passive 1024 MB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0.  I was wondering if it would be compatible with my motherboard. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

It should work just fine.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

It should work just fine.

HP Recommended

Another quick question how does one install it properly?

HP Recommended

Hi:

What you need to do first before installing the video card is to go to the device manager, click to expand the display adapters device manager category.

Right click on the Intel graphics adapter listed there, select uninstall and check the uninstall driver box.

Shut down, unplug the PC and install your Nvidia graphics card.

The PC should automatically disable the onboard graphics, recognize the video card and then you would install the drivers for it if Windows doesn't install them automatically.

It depends on what version of Windows you're running on there, as to whether or not the graphics driver will automatically install.

Consult the service manual for your PC for the actual video card installation procedure...

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-760_...

HP Recommended

Well it worked but is there something better that will also work for my optiplex 760 ms. there wasn't much change.

HP Recommended

That question is beyond my capability to answer, since I am not extremely familiar with Dell PC's, and what newer/better graphics cards your specific model can run.

I have a Dell OptiPlex 7020 MT (Intel 4th gen core processor) with a 290W power supply, but I figured that could probably run the nVidia GT 1030, which it did with no problem.

Your PC has an older BIOS, and may not be able to run graphics cards newer than the nVidia GT 6xx series or AMD Radeon HD 6xxx series.

Therefore, I suggest you post your question on the Dell OptiPlex desktop support forum...

https://www.dell.com/community/Optiplex-Desktops/bd-p/Optiplex

HP Recommended

Thanks for you help so far.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.