Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 290 G1 MT
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello, I have very strange problem with wake on lan for computer HP 290 G1 MT. I need to wake up this computer remotely. I am using feature of my router where I can log in through internet and send wake up packet to PC MAC address.

Waking itself works well. But computer is not able to find boot device. It ends with blue window and error 3F0 . If I press Ctrl-Alt-Delete, computer restarts and boot normally.

I found out that If I disconnect and connect power cord before sending wake packet, PC boots normaly. If I shut down PC (Start->Shutdown) and then I try to wake PC again, PC is turned on but boot fail becouse of "missing" boot device. I was able to repat this more times. Wake on LAN works only for the first start of the computer, after plugging power cord.

I have tried to disable PXE rom download, network boot, and only enabled boot device in boot order menu is Hard disk at sata0, Legacy mode.  I have also updated bios using HP tool.

Opearing system is Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit.

Could it be some inproper settings leaved by Windows in the hardware which is lost after unpluging power?

Is there any settings in bios for automatic restart? It could be workaround. Because I cannot restart PC remotely in this state and maybye restart would help.

Thanks in adfvance for suggestions.

Jan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello all,

after nearly two months I have found root cause and solution to this problem. It came after a lot of e-mails between me and HP support which ended up sending my computer to them.

There is a bug in BIOS causing this strange behavior. You shall not disable any boot device in Boot Order options menu in BIOS. When you disable some device using the F5 key, this problem will appear. As I set this setting as first, I have never spotted that this problem occurs after disabling boot devices.

I wanted to prevent my computer to try to boot from another device than a hard drive, so I used this function. After enabling all devices and set desired boot device order, the problem disappeared.

Be careful if you will labor with this setting. I found out, that if you have all devices enabled, and then you disable some device, WOL and boot will work perfectly until you unplug your computer. After this, you will wake and boot computer only for first time, then error until unplugging and plugging power cord or enable all devices in BIOS.

I do not have any information if a new version of BIOS will be released, but I hope so.

I would be glad if somebody with the same problem contacts me here, or on email j.kolecek91[a]seznam.cz, because I would like to hear I am not the only one in the world with this problem.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

does the 290 G1 have a "boot delay" option in the bios? can you try another hard Drive?

some drives can take longer to come ready than others

also a corupted windows 7 can cause issues, if possible try a SSD with a clean win 7 install that has no other apps/utils installed

HP Recommended

@DGroves wrote:

does the 290 G1 have a "boot delay" option in the bios? can you try another hard Drive?

some drives can take longer to come ready than others

also a corupted windows 7 can cause issues, if possible try a SSD with a clean win 7 install that has no other apps/utils installed

Hello,

sorry for delayed reply, I am on vacations without access to this computer.

I have enabled boot delay (5s I think) and turned off fast boot and on screen logo display to have more time to enter BIOS.

I have not spare SSD to make another clean windows 7 installation but I will try this: I have recevied 500GB hard drive with this computer with FreeDOS installed. I have not removed this OS as I installed OS on SSD. I will try disconnect SSD and optical drive and try to boot FreeDOS, shut down computer, boot again over WOL and check what happen.

Thank you for this Idea

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have some updates. I have experimented with pre-installed FreeDOS and ended up with the same problem. When I was changing BIOS settings I enabled Power on over keyboard. PC changed its behavior when I enabled this. After plugging power cord, PC turned on for approx. 5s and then turned off. I heard HDD starting up and down. Power LED is also turned on for a while. PC was doing this each time I plug in power cord. I found out that boot over WOL is not working. Same problem with boot device. PC is turned on, but an error message saying boot device not found appears. Then I disabled power-on by keyboard and I returned my problem to the previous state where I was able to turn on and boot normally only once after power cord plug in. I tried to boot FreeDOS, turn down PC using the power button (FreeDOS does not have shut down command). The same issue during the next starting. I sent to wake up the packet, PC was wakened, but boot device was not found.

My conclusion:

Problem is independent of the operating system (Same problem for FreeDOS and Windows 7). Also if PC is turned off by a power switch (checked for FreeDOS only). This problems also appear when Power on from keyboard is enabled and PC is turned on by itself for 5s after power cord is plugged.

I am going to contact HP support because I am convinced it is only and only BIOS problem.

Please let me know if some of you have/had a similar problem.

HP Recommended

you can also try using a PCI-e network card which has the nessary boot rom option on it. install said card and disable the onboard network interface

HP Recommended

wrote:

you can also try using a PCI-e network card which has the nessary boot rom option on it. install said card and disable the onboard network interface

I have bought Netis AD1103 NIC, disabled onboard NIC in BIOS and installed latest drivers. I have left other settings as it was. Problem is the same as before.

HP Recommended

ihave you followed the HP advisory for this issue? it also will apply to windows 10

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05250656

HP Recommended

wrote:

ihave you followed the HP advisory for this issue? it also will apply to windows 10

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05250656

I have checked that article and I have only one problem: I do not see option Shutdown Wake-on-LAN. It is true that I am using the Czech language, but I do not see any option related to WOL+shutdown.

I also do not understand why this options matters, as when the computer is turned off, Windows "does not exist". I would understand this setting for Hibernate or sleep mode, but not for off state, after full windows shutdown.

I have done following experiment:

Enabled, network boot + PXE ROM download, source local hard disk and bypass password.  In Boot order, I set as first device Realtek NIC and as second device hard drive.  My theory was that PC will boot from the hard drive after network boot fail as I do not have any server to boot from.

The issue is very similar, if I remove/insert power cord, wake computer remotely, PC tries to download PXE ROM, fails and boot from SSD as expected, but still only after the first startup, then a blue screen appears again with the same message.

I have also tried to change Local hard drive to the remote server, but without success.

I have also found out that HP released a new version if BIOS, so I upgraded, but without result. Entire experiments described in this post I did with a new version. I have also cleared CMOS and PASSWD jumpers on the mobo, before experiments.

HP Recommended

Hello all,

after nearly two months I have found root cause and solution to this problem. It came after a lot of e-mails between me and HP support which ended up sending my computer to them.

There is a bug in BIOS causing this strange behavior. You shall not disable any boot device in Boot Order options menu in BIOS. When you disable some device using the F5 key, this problem will appear. As I set this setting as first, I have never spotted that this problem occurs after disabling boot devices.

I wanted to prevent my computer to try to boot from another device than a hard drive, so I used this function. After enabling all devices and set desired boot device order, the problem disappeared.

Be careful if you will labor with this setting. I found out, that if you have all devices enabled, and then you disable some device, WOL and boot will work perfectly until you unplug your computer. After this, you will wake and boot computer only for first time, then error until unplugging and plugging power cord or enable all devices in BIOS.

I do not have any information if a new version of BIOS will be released, but I hope so.

I would be glad if somebody with the same problem contacts me here, or on email j.kolecek91[a]seznam.cz, because I would like to hear I am not the only one in the world with this problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.