Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 400 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I wrote this same question to spiceworks.com but the problem is not solved and I wonder if HP forum could help me out with this problem.

Link to thread in spiceworks 

So, I have this old war horse HP Prodesk 400 G3 SFF. It has worked fine for years but on friday it did not post. Warranty ended 2018 and therefore I need to ask this here. When I press power button the led light up but nothing more happens. No monitor signal (tested with several monitors). I have done all the tricks and nothing helps.

Please read the rest from the link above.

Anyone have any idea how to resurrect this nice piece of hardware?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

the most likely items that can cause this are 

power supply

defective motherboard

both items can be found used on ebay, but i question if it's worthwhile to do so

it may be a better choice to simply replace the system with another G3 or perhaps the slightly newer G4

HP Recommended

PSU should be fine. I've tested this setup with another good PSU and with it this hw do exactly the same.

I suspect that there is something fishy with the MB but I cannot figure out what.

As stated in the spicework thread in my mind it is strange that this is kinda semi-alive. Never seen symptoms like this. If this would be totally dead I would just throw this to metal recycling trash pallet. What is strange the it seems to me that some bios checkups are run (because of beeps/blinks if memory is removed or processor has no power) but it do not post.

This is zero money worth old computer and I have other newer computers and I could just throw this one to trash but I am curious to find out what is wrong with this because of the symptoms. Power is on and pre-post checkups are run but not completed. BIOS messed up or real hw failure?

I am not going to invest into this a dime but only some time if could revive this. Just for interest. Anyone any ideas to try?

HP Recommended

Try re-seating CPU and memories. Also do the same for any expansion board...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.