Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitedesk 800 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everybody,

does anyone know what the driver "HP Application Driver" is for?

When I tick off the option in the bios I get (via windows updates) 18 drivers installed.

With the option a total of 23 (!) will be installed.

Included is "HP Privacy Settings" with three setting options and a link to www.hppstelemetry.com.

It all sounds wonderful... yeah right.

So, does that thing does anything useful or is deactivating the right choice?

Thank you,
regards

Martin

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

HP Application Enabling Software Driver is a virtual driver that offers general custom capabilities which will be utilized among HP applications after transferring to the Microsoft store app with HSA architecture.

HP Recommended

Hey DGroves,

yes, I found that too.
But the bottom line is that it doesn't say much.

At least there is the bios option to avoid this stuff.
Hey HP - can you please litter the consumer stuff with this bloatware and leave us business user out?
That would be very nice! After all, we pay a surcharge compared to the consumer stuff and therefore don't want to have to deal with telemetry stuff...
At least I feel that way.

Thanks and greetings,
Martin

HP Recommended

I don't know the answer yet, but the @DGroves from HP response is not valid and is for something different. As of 4/24/2020 the HP SoftPaq Download Manager shows two different entries

1. HP Application Driver
    Version 1.1.377.0.A.1, Priority: Critical, Category: Driver, Size 479 KB, Release Date: 2019-03-01, SoftPaq: 95222
  2. HP Application Enabling Software Driver 
    Version: 1.15.1323.0.A.1, Priority: Recommended, Category: Driver - Add-Ons, Size 3,868 KB, Release Date: 2019-09-10, SoftPaq: 99155

Clearly two different things. 

We are investigating adding the "Critical" 95222 SoftPaq, but at the moment none of our HP workstations have either driver installed and are working fine.

If you can figure out the SoftPaq number you can modify this URL to get more information.

This one is the closest thing I've been able to find that references the telemetry.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp95001-95500/sp95432.html

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.