Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ExamHP Compaq 8000 SFFple: Pavilion 65XX
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Issue: If I try and activate Bitlocker on a HP Compaq 8000 SFF, I get the following message:

"A compatible Trusted Platform Module (TPM) Security Device must be present on this computer, but a TPM was not found. Please contact your system administrator to enable Bitlocker"

1. I've looked in the Bios under security, but unable to locate to enable it.

2. CMD \ run TPM.MSC > TPM Computer Management on Local computer states "Compatible Trusted Platform Module (TPM) cannot be found on this computer. Verify that this computer has a 1.2 TPM and is turned on in the BIOS.

Is there a utility that i can use that will identify the motherboard components or at least identify if the TPM Chip is fitted, Would HP be able to identify from motherboard versions!!

Could do with some assistance on the How to find....I've downloaded WinAudit.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

See the quickspecs at the link below, page 6.

* TPM module disabled where restricted by law, i.e. Russia.

https://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/content/specifications/Elite8000_datasheet.PDF

My 8000 Elite CMT has a TPM.

It shows up in Windows under a Security Devices category in the device manager.

See the F10 setup guide for the 8000 Elite.   In the security menu, there should be a device security setting with an embedded security device listed on some models...again, if your country does not allow such a device, that setting will not be listed.

Also there should be a system security section where there should be an embedded security device support setting if your PC has a TPM.

Anyway, review the security section of the guide below for where these settings exist to enable and manage the TPM if your PC has one.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01527227

HP Recommended

Many Thanks Paul

I'm aware of the restrictions relating to Russia, fortunately for me I'm in the UK.

Things that I've observed:

> "It shows up in Windows under a Security Devices category in the device manager". This is true but it needs to be enabled within the Bios for Windows to be able to utilise it.

> "In the security menu, there should be a device security setting with an embedded security device listed on some models"

On my machine: "Security \ System Security \ embedded security device support is Enabled...

*Please note I've also applied "File \ Replicated Setup \ Save to removable media (USB Stick), but to no avail. 

I've got over 70 desktops all behaving the same way, I'm certain there should be a utility that would identify whether or not the system board has a TPM chip.

Regards

Branko

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Since the TPM 1.2 chip is listed under the security devices category, it has one for sure.

How you get it to work, unfortunately, that I do not know.

There is that section in the manual that states in substance...Embedded Security Device Support (some models) (enable/disable) - Permits activation and deactivation of the Embedded Security Device. Changing this setting requires turning the computer off and then back on.

NOTE: To configure the Embedded Security Device, a Setup password must be set.
● Reset to Factory Settings (some models) (Do not reset/Reset) - Resetting to factory defaults will erase all security keys. Changing this setting requires turning the computer off and then back on.
CAUTION: The embedded security device is a critical component of many security schemes. Erasing the security keys will prevent access to data protected by the Embedded Security Device. Choosing Reset to Factory Settings may result in significant data loss.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.