Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8100 Elite SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I upgraded my CPU from Intel Core i5 650 to Intel Core i7 870. Now I need to upgrade my RAM from 4x2GB (8GB) to 16GB.

Can I use 2x8GB RAM or I must  use 4x4GB ?

Please help me.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't know of anyone on this forum that installed 2 x 8 GB of memory in an 8100 Elite SFF, so I would not recommend it, unless you have the money to experiment, and can either return the memory or install it in a newer model desktop such as the 8200 Elite, which can run 4 x 8 GB of memory.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't know of anyone on this forum that installed 2 x 8 GB of memory in an 8100 Elite SFF, so I would not recommend it, unless you have the money to experiment, and can either return the memory or install it in a newer model desktop such as the 8200 Elite, which can run 4 x 8 GB of memory.

HP Recommended

Do you really need more than 16GB of memory in that vintage workstation?

Function and funds would be safe if you use the max RAM that HP certified for it..... 16GB via 4 sticks, 4GB each, unbuffered non-ECC, with HP logo or exact equivalent from the left side sticker, ideally identical sticks in all 4 sockets.

8GB sticks of that type of RAM are not exactly common, but I'd buy one stick of the HP logo 8GB RAM that HP released for the 8200 Elite if I really wanted to try it.  If that worked by itself in RAM slot 1 then I'd buy another.  I assume you're wanting to keep the other 2 slots for later population to a total of 32GB.

There are many cases of older workstations that HP never certified to be capable of doing something we here on the forum have proven works just fine.... for example, way back in the 8100 era how many would have thought of running 32GB RAM? At what cost?  HP did not spend the effort on certifying an option that few would ever buy, or that was so expensive it also would not have a market.  What you are doing, running W10, is also not HP certified.  SSDs also are not certified for that box.  That all works fine, however.

However, running 4 x 4GB also would get you the potential for "Quad Channel" memory performance assuming the memory controller supports that.    The memory controller in that workstation has single or dual channel capabilities, and you get dual channel benefit if 2 or 4 of the slots are properly populated.  The Z420 I mention below supports up to quad channel.  Multi-channel memory performance is a synergy one gains if matched memory sockets are populated ideally by identical RAM, and has been described here by our favorite HP engineer as a value very underestimated by the client community.  Also, the cost you may spend for 8GB sticks might be better spent building up a Z420 version 2 workstation, which has significant life left in it and more advanced potential.  Recycling the 8100, however, may be just perfect for you.

Please keep us posted on what you find out to add to the knowledge base here.

HP Recommended

I do know for a fact that the 8100 Elite will not run 32 GB of memory.

What I do not know is if an 8 GB memory module will work in slots 1 and 3.

I did find this post where someone installed an 8 GB chip and it did not work.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktops-Archive-Read-Only/Bought-one-8gb-memory-stick-doesnt-work/m-p...

Here is a search of all the 8100 Elite memory upgrade questions I could find...hopefully, it will be of help to you.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=8100%20elite%20memory&collapse_discuss...

HP Recommended

Thank you all for your help and your time.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.