Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

We have 700 HP Compaq 8200 Elite Sff in my company.

We are deploying Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bits edition.

During deployment i update bios to the latest release available 02.29

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5037932&swItemId=vc_165224_1&swEnvOid=405...

I deploy Windows 10 with SCCM and PXE boot.

When i boot in PXE, WinPE start in legacy mode (no UEFI) and i install Windows 10 in BIOS mode.

Everything setup fine except restart time that take at least 2 minutes !

Every time i have to restart Windows it is very long.

If i shutdown Windows and start again it is quick

If i restart Windows it is very slow.

If i install Windows 10 with SCCM but without PXE but with USB stick, Windows setup is in UEFI and i don't have the restart problem.

Can anyone help me to fix this issue in legacy bios mode ?

Regards

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

I had the same problem with my 8200 SFF 4GB RAM 500GB HDD after upgrade from W7P to W10P. Then I upgrade BIOS to 2.25 and RAM to 8GB and everything went fine. Now the full reboot time is less than 30 seconds.

HP Recommended

Thanks OlegR, Did you try with the last bios available 02.29 ?

HP Recommended

No, I did not. I am an old fart, who becomes suspicious when reads "it is just for better security" and "it could not be downgraded then". So, it solves my problem and I am happy.

HP Recommended

We found upgrading to bios 2.29 on the 8200 and 8300 systems  causes the issue with restart times.  We've found the issue does not exist on bios 2.28, but unfortunately if you have updated to 2.29 you can not roll back.  We only found this issue with Windows 10.

HP Recommended

Thanks. I am not alone.

HP, may a 02.30 version fix the problem ?

HP Recommended

We are seeing this exact same problem. When HP Supp Asst sugegsted v2.29 for the BIOS we went ahead and upgraded given the security references in the release notes. Now machines are taking forever to reboot. However, it *seems* to be related to having an external video card. The latest batch of 8200s we were deploying have add on AMD cards. When we took the card out? The restarts were normal. 

v2.28 definitely does NOT have this issue. And as someone noted, the v2.29 update is one way - no going back.

I have a couple boxes in stock I can still mess with and one customer who got two new boxes we haven't put into service yet with the AMD cards still in them. I'm going to poke around the v2.29 BIOS and see if maybe there is something in there that can be tweaked to fix this. It's embarassing to have these great refurb boxes with new SSDs (makin gthem lightning fast) and a restart acts like it's dead.

What we've observed is the restart hangs on the power cycle. The screen is blank, power light is on and it sits there. Then you BRIEFLY see the BIOS post screen and the system boots normally. It's like the BIOS is hanging in the POST. I'm going to throw a diag card into one and see...

Anyone from HP have insights? These are very popular boxes and if people install v2.29, I have to think this problem will become more widespread.

HP Recommended

We have this issue with the embeded graphics card Intel too.

HP Recommended

HP support tells me today that HP 8200 desktop are not supported on Windows 10 so they cannot support my case.

😞

Only computers since 2014 are supported with Windows 10.

HP Recommended

I am so sorry to hear that. Actually I do not believe there is no way to reset your BIOS. Could you ask customer support how to do it? Do not ask them about W10, just how to reset your BIOS. Revision 2.25 works fine for me and, as another guy mentioned, rev. 2.28 might be fine too. Concerning with Window 10, I have it on my computer for about a month and half and it had no issues.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.