1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

HP EliteDesk 800 G3 RAID1 with SSD

HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 800 G3 Tower-PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey guys,

i buyed a EliteDesk 800 G3 and want to customize it. The system should run with a RAID 1 on two SSDs with PCIe or SATA 6G, I prefer PCIe.

I have no idea about installing a RAID system yet. I tried to learn from the internet the last week, but now i am very confused. So here are my questions i hope you can answer.

My idea is to buy a raid controller with PCIe output and two SSDs which are compatible to the controller. Then put the SSDs in the controller and the controller in the PCIe-Input on my mainboard. Following confogure the RAID with the software of my controller.

- Is this the right way or is there an other option? Maybe a build-in RAID function or something?

- I read a lot about boot problems with SSDs with PCIe. How can i prevent this problems? 

Thank you

1 REPLY 1
DGroves
Level 11
4,502 4,485 410 940
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

first of all do you know what raid-1 is/does?  next why do you think you require it

raid one is  very simple to setup but not really required for most people using home systems as it only provides data redundancy, nothing else and ssd's are not that prone to failure nowadays

next just what benefit do you expect to have by using a PCI-e card? if you don't know then i recomend you skip the card which can be more troublesome and stay with the onboard sata 6gps controller for any drive setups, raid included

next a pci-e card that can do raid one, boot a OS and matain the speed of a ssd is not that cheap (around 100.00 and up)

are you willing to spend that much or more?

I recomend you stick with using the motherboards two onboard M.2 slots and use the computers Intel Matrix Raid

setup found in the bios to configure your raid array if you feel you must have a raid one setup

please read your model computers service or user manual on how to use the bios raid features of your system

the manuals can be downloaded from the HP website

and here's a hp generic link on raid config using the onboard matrix raid features 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01386632

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation