Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteOne 800 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Product Number T6T86PA

I purchased an extra SSHD for this PC for a customer (Part number E1C62AA as shown here under Cables and Components: http://h20386.www2.hp.com/AustraliaStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=T6T89PA&opt=&sel=DTP) and it did not come with the correct screws to mount into the PC.

The model I got comes with an M2 SSD drive and no 2.5" HDD installed as standard, so I cannot re-use any screws.

I have tried looking for the screws on HP's website, part surfer, google etc but to no avail. Part surfer does not show any screws listed (http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?SearchText=T6T86PA).

I did have a spare G2 with a 2.5" drive in stock so I checked what screws it had and they are completely different - see photos:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkUKtXfMl7KtkhgrF8rNH9oXxOW0

Can anyone please direct me to where these could be found, or a part number? I'm unable to find it.

Any help would be appreciated.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@Warchest, welcome to the forum.

I have asked the appropriate people within HP for help with your problem.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thanks old_geekster, any response would be great.

We aren't getting very far through official channels.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Warchest.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

I have posted on the HP slider screws before.... do a search in this forum's search box for "M3" and you'll find those posts.

We'd appreciate some clarification.... your picture showing the blue elastomer slider mounting screws with the inner black larger washer and the outer silver slider washer screwed on with black M3 screws is what we are used to seeing for using the slider mounts on 2.5" drives and Optical drives (which use the M3 threads instead of 6-32 threads).

Is the problem that the bearing surface of the silver metal outer slider washer has a larger diameter and thus won't fit into the slider slot milled into the mounting area?  The small black ones you show as what you want sure looks like they have a smaller diameter for that bearing surface....   If so HP has thrown in a new M3 unobtainable mounting slider screw if that is the case.  The blue/black/silver M3 ones were hard enough to find!

In my posts from the past on this there is a link to a post where the guy figured out how to use a M3 screw, some smaller diameter inner washers, and a single larger outer washer that when tightened down let him slide things in and get the McGiver mount to work.  You may wish to visit Ace Hardware in the metric section and take a look.  The small English washers also may fit for you.  McMaster.com has an amazing array of parts, and small washers would be easy to order from them once you get the dimensions figured out.

If you solve this please post your formula......  And, HP, you really need to not put your loyal customers through this type of thing.  At least put them in a place where we can find them and order them.  I'm sure he'd be happy to pay you a reasonable price for 4 plus shipping.

For others who have not seen the pictures of these new type of slider/vibration dampeners I have added them from the O.P. below.  These are clearly a smaller diameter version than the older black-screw blue-elastomer M3-metric version, which will not fit.  All the 2.5" form factor drives such as SSDs and some HDDs have M3 metric threading in their mounting holes.  The 2.5" hybrid drives and also the 2.5" HDDs will vibrate some, but not a SSD.  So, you could MacGuyver in a solution if you knew the width of the slider slot and bought 4 nylon spacers and 4 M3 machine screws of the correct length, and combine those together to create an alternative for SSDs.  HP...... you need to help your users and include such items in the kit if you are selling these drives under the HP brand.  This is called "bad customer service" and has been brought to your attention several times.  Your customers are buying at a premium price, and deserve better care.  Here are the pictures with small added notation:

DSC_0107 1.jpg

DSC_0109 1 edited.JPG

DSC_0111 1.JPG

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response SDH,

Yes the blue M3 screws I am very familiar with and have used a ton! But these new silver screws with black rubber mount seems to be a new thing from HP, have not seen them before. They have the same thread size.

Correct on the 2nd point - the bearing surface on the blue mounting screw is much too large to fit - see the 1st photo - the silver screw with black rubber fits snugly into the 2.5" drive bay. The blue ones just cannot go in.

The new 2.5" HDD came with a 3.5" - 2.5" drive adaptor where the blue mount screws fit but this does not work in the EliteOne 800 G2. There is nowhere to put this, only non-removable 2.5" bays.

Not interested in going through the hassle of creating our own screws - HP should have these available for purchase... especially since I bought the HDD recommened by HP for this model HP PC!

If there is a part number out there I don't mind buying a bunch of these screws, as I am expecting to sell more of these PCs in this configuration.

HP Recommended

I have an identical issue, and cannot find the screws needed to properly install a 2nd 2.5" drive. Did you manage to find out a place to buy them from?

HP Recommended

Some of the newer small form factor HP workstations have had spares of important screws included but hard to find.  They are screwed into metal threaded holes behind the front black plastic case cover.  You need to take that off and look there.... they will be facing forwards, if present, and thus cannot be accessed without removing that front grill.

Let us know what you find..... 

HP Recommended

Never found the screws or a place to source them. HP were no help at all.

Ended up stealing the screws from another 800 G2 we had in stock.

That PC is now for parts as it cannot have a HDD installed.

Not happy we have an expensive non usable PC sitting in our warehouse.

HP Recommended

That's a shame. I've opened a case with HP and will keep searching - will post up on here if I find a solution.

SDH - re: the possibility of spare screws being inside the case, sadly they're not in the disk caddy or elsewhere screwed onto the inside of the frame or cover.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.