Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 400 G1 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! The front two USB 3.0 ports on the computer are having issues. Here's a summary:

1. With a USB 3.0 device, they do not work at all, and Windows doesn't recognize the device.

2. With a USB 2.0 device, they work completely fine.

3. I tried to update the BIOS, but the .exe from HP's support website does not work.

4. There is no 'USB 3.0 Root Hub' in Device Manager, but no devices have a caution sign over them.

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

set bios to default settings, reboot and reinstall windows, making sure no usb devices except for kbd/mouse are connected to the rear usb then install all available ms win updates

now try connecting a usb device and it most likely will work

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion, but resetting the BIOS didn't work, and reinstalling Windows is way, way too much of a hassle to do. I don't feel like taking hours to reinstall all my apps, programs, files, and settings. 

Is there any other thing to do? Besides buying a USB hub off of Amazon?

HP Recommended

backup important data (which you should already be doing) and do a in place win 10 reinstall

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

HP Recommended

Thanks, but that would still require me to re-install my apps and settings, which would take a while. I just installed Windows a few days ago because I just bought this computer, so I don't think a reinstall would do anything.  

I'm just going to buy a USB hub off of Amazon and tape it to the front panel, since that seems like the easiest option. 

HP Recommended

sigh,........you obviously did not take the time to read the in place link i provided and you have stated you are unwilling to actually "DO" anything to fix the issue

as such i will consider the issue closed

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.