Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z2 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

On my relatively new HP Z2 G4 with Windows 10 Pro, I am suddenly getting a series of alerts from HP Sure Sense. Since 3/4/2021 and occurring several times a day, I see:

3/6/2021 8:07:09 AM     Threat Prevention   msedgewebview2.exe was identified as malicious and was quarantined.

3/6/2021 8:07:08 AM     Threat Prevention   msedge.exe was identified as malicious and was quarantined.

A single alert for chrome.exe was generated a month earlier, but no further alerts for Chrome have occurred, and just days ago I updated Chrome.

In the Quarantine area, I see entries of the form:

msedgewebview2.exe     C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Temp\source_2018_1590184268\89.0.774.45     <dates>

msedge.exe     <same path and dates>

The C:\...\Edge\Temp directory does not exist, but I am finding a related file:

C:\...\EdgeUpdate\Install\{877CB084-76BC-4717-B9F3-3E1EADFC59DE}\MicrosoftEdge_X64_89.0.774.45.exe

Note the version on this "Install" file is equal to the version on the "Quarantine" entry. Upon starting Edge, it automatically starts updating, but fails with the following error:

Microsoft Edge

An error occurred while checking for updates: Installation failed due to unspecified error. If Microsoft
     Edge is currently running, please close it and try again. (error code 7: 0x80040902: 7 -- system level).
     Version 88.0.705.81 (Official build) (64-bit)

It's obvious that Microsoft Edge v88.0.705.81 is initiating an upgrade to v89.0.774.45, and HP Sure Sense is blocking the activity.

With apprehension I did try to "restore the file" from Quarantine, and HP Sure Sense said the file could not be recovered.

While I avoid MS Edge (and previously MS IE) with a passion (!), I am concerned that the MS Edge updates are triggering HP Sure Sense, and want to get to the bottom of it. Is HP Sure Sense fouling up, or is the MS Edge update infected?

Thomas Gilg

(retired HP)

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

@siletzspey 

====================================================================

Welcome to the HP Community.

Be Aware:

Do not respond to individuals who post phone numbers or email addresses.

Do not respond to individuals who ask you to provide private information in a public Post.

These people might be scammers trying to steal your information / money.

====================================================================

Edits (2)

Uninstall / restart / reinstall Sure Sense did not work.

Try twice...

Once more...

Sure Sense > Quarantine > Restore both files

Wait 30 seconds (busy elsewhere)

Again, start Chromium Edge > open settings > About > Update

No idea why, but that worked.

Edge is updated.

Meanwhile, Sure Sense claims the two files could not be restored.

Meh.

Original Content

I took a look - and it does appear that you should be able to restore (from quarantine) one of a couple of ways.

That said, I was able to restore the offending files - and then - they ended up back on the list.

If you have not done so,

Open your computer's Home Page

Open Category Software and Drivers > Sub-Category Software-Security

Find the update for Sure Sense

The details for the update include the following:

Fix and enhancements:

- Fixes an issue where HP Sure Sense Enhanced Threat Protection terminates Microsoft Edge setup.exe when HP Sure Sense has not automatically updated first.

Fix and enhancements:

- Fixes an issue where HP Sure Sense Enhanced Threat Protection terminates Microsoft Edge setup.exe when HP Sure Sense has not automatically updated first.

So...

Repair (on Sure Sense) didn't work so I uninstalled Sure Sense - downloaded the package > Restarted > installed (another Restart)

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guide, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Product Home

Enter the type and name of your HP device

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks Dragon-Fur for looking.

HP Sure Sense (app) > Status shows that Automatic Updates are Enabled, and > About shows the version is 1.2.36.0, which I confirmed by checking the HP SW/FW download site is the most recent.

I tried rebooting my PC, and upon starting Edge, HP Sure Sense once again blocked the Edge update.

For now I'm won't try anything too heroic since I can easily reproduce the problem. Reinstalling or resetting its Data might work, and is a good debugging data, but that's really a workaround as opposed to solving the problem.

--tg

HP Recommended

I had exactly the same issue in the past few days, and a few months back I had the same issue with Chrome.

I checked the logs in Sure Sense and notice the work-around I used to get Chrome up-to-date was to temporarily disable threat protection whilst forcing a Chrome update. Did the same thing for Edge and it worked fine. 

Should stop the alerts til the next update.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm also getting this and it's rather annoying.

I could remove HP SureSense to resolve the problem, but that seems draconian.

Is there a fix coming from HP on this?

HP Recommended

@siletzspey 

You are welcome.

Any method that works for your situation > update / uninstall / disable > is a solution.

Updates - Add Content

What if removing / reinstalling Sure Sense does not work?

In my case, because I use the HP tools as both test and training, simple uninstall is less desirable.

Uninstalling the program is certainly an option for anyone choosing to do so - and, of course, that works.

Choice.

Option - Keep the software > Disable the checkpoint for Edge that is disrupting the Update.

Example - Sure Sense - Add folder to Exclusions list to allow Edge to update

Open Sure Sense > Settings > Advanced > Edit Exclusions

Add > Select Add Folder > Browse and add folder

C:\program files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge

Edit - Update Example

Sure_Sense_Settigs_Exclusions_2Sure_Sense_Settigs_Exclusions_2

Adding the folder to the Exclusions removes the checkpoint.

Restart the computer and log in

Edge can now update without errors.

Original Content

Will HP fix it?

Probably.

When?

Unknown - HP does not share this information outside of HP.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Can someone give me a step-by-step idiot proof instruction to get rid of these annoying notifications please

HP Recommended

@IanHam - Uninstall it like I did, just more HP tester apps to bog down their nice systems, I also dumped Sure Click and Client Security before we hand new systems off to our employee's.

Hope that helps 🙂

HP Recommended

Same here. Now there is a HP SureSense Services which relateD to HP Wolf Security notification that restore files failed pop up every time I reboot m6 HP Elite X2 G4 or wh3n I run HP Wolf Secuirty. Very buggy and annoying HP bloat ware.

HP Recommended

Same issue here , tried the exclusion and Edge update (successful) but still get the error notification bellow:

2.PNG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.