7 6 0 1
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post

HP Thin Client T520 ThinPro Blocks while using RDP

HP Recommended
HP Thin Client T520
Linux

Dear Community,

Just installed new Thin Clients T520 with Linux HP Thinpro. I am no IT guy, I just ordered these online.

On our Windows Based Server 2012 R2 we see blocks while using different programs.

The blocks very per day, but most of the time htey appear within outlook etc.

Everything is up to date, they are frankly new. The RDP works to the server.

How to get these awfull blocks away? Sometimes you can't even see a normal e-mail.

I can't make any screenshots of it, they appear over it not on it. So I attached photos with phone.

Hope some IT guys can help me,

DylanJohn

20180201_164250.png

12 REPLIES 12
DGroves
Level 11
4,510 4,493 411 946
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

check your network speeds, if the network speeds are low you will have visual glitches. is your  main server also the mail server, or do you have a seperate mail server if only one server what is the cpu/memory loads?

note that just testing one RDP session at a time is not a valid test.

you will need to have all systems up and actually doing something that causes network access to and  from the client/server

verify that the server, client and the network equipment  are all using the  same"mtu" size.

Disable the use of "Bitmap Caching" on the RDP client and see what the results are (this will increase network traffic)

update your rdp clients video driver

also try a windows based RDP client, if this works ok then it's possibly a  software setting somewhere  on the RDP clients

0 Kudos
DylanJohn
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 1
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

check your network speeds, if the network speeds are low you will have visual glitches. is your  main server also the mail server, or do you have a seperate mail server if only one server what is the cpu/memory loads?

Network speed is high. We have a separate mail server.  As is said, I'm no IT guy, where can i find the cpu/memory load?

note that just testing one RDP session at a time is not a valid test.

No I’m testing 8 at a time. We got 24 Thin Clients, 8 new HP ThinPro T520’s. Rest is Windows Based. All 8 show blocks, the windows based ones don't show blocks.

you will need to have all systems up and actually doing something that causes network access to and  from the client/server

All 24 Thin Clients / RDP’s are on from Monday till Friday 8:00-17:00.

verify that the server, client and the network equipment  are all using the  same"mtu" size.

Verified the Mtu size with Ping, all use the same mtu.

Disable the use of "Bitmap Caching" on the RDP client and see what the results are (this will increase network traffic)

Tried this, didn’t have any effect.

update your rdp clients video driver

Tried this, didn't work.

also try a windows based RDP client, if this works ok then it's possibly a  software setting somewhere  on the RDP clients

Tried windows based RDP Clients, actually working on it myself. No Blocks everything is okay. What software setting could be wrong on the Linux ThinPro setting? << Could you think of a possible solution for this?

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,510 4,493 411 946
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

as i don't use linux i  don't have much more to offer,

as for server cpu/memory usage there are numerous apps that monitor this (google for some w/reviews)

or use the window s"Task Manager"

https://techjourney.net/how-to-run-open-task-manager-in-windows-10-windows-server-2016/

you can also press ctrl/alt/del keys  at the same time on the server ONCE  and enter "task manager" from the listed

options BE CAREFUL IF USING THIS METHOD AS YOU CAN SHUTDOWN THE SERVER!!!!

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,510 4,493 411 946
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

just a thought, is the resolution set correct on the client, and does the resolution match the native resolution of the attached screen?

0 Kudos
DylanJohn
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 1
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The resolution is set to the same as the Windows based ones. Same monitor, same server.

I'm updating the drivers now to see if any of these helps.

Most people say it has to do with bitmap caching but when i turn it off the screen stays the same.

I guess, what you said, there is a software setting on the client which doesn't work properly on an windows 2012 r2 server.

Gonna see if there's a manual about the T520 ThinPro on a Windows Server 2012 R2 using RDP.

Gonna get in touch!

DylanJohn

0 Kudos
Bram_
Level 1
5 3 0 1
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear DylanJohn,

In our company we have the same problem with the exact same Thin Clients, I was hoping you could update me on your status.

We are working with a RDS server 2016 through a gateway connection. It is a local server connected trough a gigabit Lan connection.

All of the 10 thin clients have some screen artifacts. Two of them have it all the time.

Relogging does not help and we changed almost all settings with no succes of fixing it.

On Google I cant find much about this problem with this specific thin client.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Bram

0 Kudos
DylanJohn
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 1
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear Bram,

My status is still the same, which indicates that HP ThinPro Linux is not 'really' compatible with Windows Servers.

We use both Windows Embedded Thin's as HP ThinPro Clients, the Windows ones all work well.

Trying to update drivers and more but none respond to the glitches within the RDP session.

Resolution is the same as on the server; bitmap caching is out; server speed is high-end.

My last thing is to put on the OSimage of Windows; because ThinPro ain't the right way to use..

DylanJohn

Bram_
Level 1
5 3 0 1
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear DylanJohn,

Thanks for your reply.

This realy sucks. So you are now putting the windows 10 ioT image on the clients?

I would like to stay in touch. If that is possible it could be an option for our customer.

Thanks again and good luck!

Bram

0 Kudos
Bram_
Level 1
5 3 0 1
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I also started a another topic about this problem on the forum. I will keep you posted if there is any status update!

My Topic

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation