Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Thin Client T530

I have a problem on HP Thin Client T530 with Windows 10.

When a user saves username and password on RDP connection window, there is no option to remove the password that is saved locally.  As a result anyone can login into saved account by double-clicking on the icon.

The local user account is built-in 'User'. In that account, there is no option to right-click on RDP icon to edit it to remove saved passwords as recommended by Microsoft. When I open Control Panel from 'User' account, I don't see Credential Manager although I can see it from Admin account and removed all saved credentials from there.

I have deleted and recreated the RDP connection but still it auto logs on to the saved account.

The username and password is for domain, resetting it on domain gives 'Credentials did not work' error when Remote Desktop Connection is launched which means it is still trying to connect using saved username and password.

I have removed recently used connections from registry key but no difference at all.

Please advise.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

We ran into this same problem. Unable to find solution or where the credentials were saved. We ended up adding a Registry Key to resolve the issue.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services

Added Dword "DisablePasswordSavings" with a value of "1"

This stops users from even being able to select saving their password when signing into a remote connection.

I hope this helps everyone as there appears no real direct solution to this issue from HP. If anyone can find where those credentials are saved and how to access them please let us all know. 

For now we are happy with this fix as it just removes the ability for anyone to save their credentials if we accidentally leave the write filter off.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.