Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

I have an HP EliteBook 845 with Windows 10 Pro and HP Wolf Security.
I'm using Cobian Backup to back up my files on an external USB drive. Cobian creates an exact copy of the subdirectory on the USB drive.
When backing up files that are protected by Wolf Security, the backup fails as Cobian can not create any ~BROMIUM directory on the USB drive.

I've tried manually to create such directory and it indeed fails (blocked by Wolf?).
Any hint to workaround this problem (eg suspending Wolf during the backup)?
Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@jpotage 

Welcome to the HP Community Forum.

It's been an age since I used Cobian - I loved it and used it for a long time.

I cannot find any of the configuration files I used with it.

It is not for lack of data - I have a LOT of data backed up over the years...

I do remember, that like other backup software I've used, Cobian did not want to back up certain structures.

IF I remember correctly, for those structures (folders) that would not back up correctly, I created an "Exclude" directive -- that is, I told the Cobian backup to not back up certain folders (or, in some cases, files) that were causing trouble.

If I can find any decent reference to the exact process I used, I'll post the information.

As for the Bromium hierarchy, whether it is folders or files,

I believe excluding these from the Cobian backup  is both possible and the most useful advice.

Should you need to reload Windows at some point,

You will be reloading your HP Software and Drivers.

At that point, you can install your Wolf Security Software...

Selected as example

Software and drivers for HP EliteBook 845 G8 Notebook PC 

Driver

HP Wolf Security for Business 

HP Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guide, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

Open

Product Home

Enter the device type and model name of your HP device

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hello
Thank you for the quick response.
As a matter of fact, I do NOT want to exclude these files from the backup as they are important for me.
As I suspect the issue comes when Cobian tries to create the ~BROMIUM directory, is it possible to pause Wolf when I run Cobian so that the directory can be created on the USB and files copied? I would then resume Wolf when backup is complete.
Thanks

HP Recommended

Hello

Coming back to this thread: is there a way to pause Wolf while backup SW runs or any possible workaround to allow the backup SW to create a ~BROMIUM directory on the USB key to build the image of the source directory tree on the destination USB?

Thanks 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.