Level 1
10 6 0 1
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

HP Z Turbo Quad Pro is it compatible with Z820

HP Recommended
HP Z Turbo Quad Pro
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
Is the HP Z Drive Quad compatible with Z820? I like the flexibility of adding modules! The FAQ section only references current Z440, Z640, and Z840s.

Thanks,

Chance Norris
Compositor / 3D Generalist
9 REPLIES 9
soccer_dan
Level 8
Level 8
1,195 1,195 74 153
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It could work, but not as boot drive. There is no BIOS boot support for nvme SSDs in the Z820 systems. That was added to the Z840

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
0 Kudos
Chance001
Author
Level 1
10 6 0 1
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
HP Support confirmed it will work in the Z820 the documentation only references Z840's because it's the current model. I'm using it as a fast drive for 4K editing / compositing. I should have it in a few days to test!
0 Kudos
arestle
2 2 0 0
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Chance001, 

hope you're still active in these forums.

I'm trying to do the same thing with my Z820, speeding up Davinci when working with 6k timelines.

I've installed the Z Turbo Quad Pro, but I can only see one one of the four drives installed.

Did you have similar problems and were you able to solve them?

Thanks

Andreas 

0 Kudos
Chance001
Author
Level 1
10 6 0 1
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Same problem. Worked with HP support for about a couple weeks no solution. I ended up using (2) G2 Turbo Drives in separate slots. These are the equivalent to the drives in the quad. Support specifically said these drives are only supported in 840's and to buy the slower 1st generation G Turbo Drive. The key is the slot placement which is 1 and 6.
I get real 2500 write / read speeds on 4K with these drives striped raid 0. Hope this helps!
0 Kudos
arestle
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your quick reply.

Very unfortunate, I wonder if this is a technical limitation or something HP did on purpose.

I know PCIe bifurcation needs to be supported for the Z Turbo Quad to work, but there is no info available regarding the Z820 on this subject.

I assume you tried all three 16x Slots, tried all the addresses and variuos BIOS settings (still wondering what PCIe Performance Mode is)?

Are your CPUs v1 or v2? Maybe that makes a difference.

I already bought the Z Turbo Quad Pro and 4 1TB M2 drives, so I would have to sell the card and get two G2 cards.

A bit of a headache ...

0 Kudos
Chance001
Author
Level 1
10 6 0 1
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
We tried updating to current bios which led to mistakenly support coming onsite to do (2) separate system board swapouts because of inexpienced support diagnosis. The original board was fine. Once the board situation was over we started testing out different addresses on card, different slots on system board, and drives in different slots on quad.
Hp sent another quad to test along with emulating my system setup with a setup in support department. The end result was the Z820 wasn't compatible with the quad.
0 Kudos
schnudiesounds
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ Chance001: is that right that you run 2x G2 Turbo Drives in slots 1 and 6? How did you manage to stripe them. I 'd like to rebuilt this solution for my z820. Your help is appreciated!

best, Sebastian

0 Kudos
Chance001
Author
Level 1
10 6 0 1
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hi Sebastian, Yes, I’m currenty running 2X G2 Turbo Drives in slots 1 and 6. I striped in the disk management tool. It’s too bad the quad didn’t work!
schnudiesounds
2 2 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your answer. I guess it's not too bad, as this workaround leads to almost the same result 😉

best, Sebastian

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation