TMH666
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

HP Z1 G2 graphics

HP Recommended
hP Z1 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am looking for some advice from one of the engineers at HP who worked on the MXM PCIE modules for the Z1 G2 series of workstations. I currently have a nvidia K3100m graphics module and i read in one of the forums that the mxm modules on the z1 g2 workstations were not tied to any bios calls on startup so in theory any mxm graphics card that adhears to the mxm 3.1 standard and fits in the cooling shroud (for type B mxm cards) should  work without any modifications or bios flashing.

1) is this true?

2) as long as the card does not exceed the 100w power envelope for the mxm socket in the workstation one of the new nvidia 1060 or 1070 mxm cards should work.

i would appreciate any advice from someone who worked on these workstations as extending my Z1 G2 working life would make me very happy.

4 REPLIES 4
RogerWilco
Level 3
73 70 2 4
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't work for HP but I have a Z1 G1 and so does my brother and a mate. Between us, we've tried the 680M, 770M, 780M, 880M and 980M. All work fine without any BIOS updates or vBIOS updates. You do need to do your own driver mods though.

Most 1070 and 1080 cards aren't the same size and have an extra power connector. The 1070 inside the Zotac EN1070 should work in the Z1 if you flash the vBIOS. It appears to be thermally limited to around 90-100w so the cooler in the Z1 should be able to handle it. You can read here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-17-r5-gtx-1070-mxm-3-1b.800137/

Also, a company called Gecube have made a proper 3.1 type B card aimed at laptops that don't take the new odd-sized cards, but, I can't find any reference of anyone using it yet in a laptop: https://world.taobao.com/item/550426620322.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a21m2.8232368.0.0.avdyrI

Theoretically, the Z1 should be able to cool it.

Nutshell:

Yes, you can install non-HP and non-Quadro MXM Type B cards.

The 1060 should work just fine.

The 1070 should work too but you'd need to take a risk.

0 Kudos
TMH666
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Rogerwilco, i was thinking of the mxm cards from Aetina

http://www.aetina.com.tw/products-detail.php?i=86

These appear to be the correct size and work within the power envelope as long as they are not overclocked.

i am not sure that i like the sound of modifying the drivers though 

i have not heard of a supplier where you can buy the aetina cards and they are rediculously expensive for a single card.

i will keep looking.

0 Kudos
RogerWilco
Level 3
73 70 2 4
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The 1060 should be fine from Aetina, the 1070 and 1080 not so. Their models of those cards have an extra power connector - they might work without it, but you'd need to shell out a lot of money to test.

A Clevo or MSI 1060 card from a reseller or eBay should work fine.

0 Kudos
Doart28
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Has any Z1 G2 owners tried a newer Quadro Zbook MXM (eg. p3000) gpu card in their G2?

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation