Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z1 G5 Entry Level Workstation
Microsoft Windows Server 2016

I've been looking for a  RAID controller for this (Win2016 srv). I've already tried the HP enterprise controllers: P410, P420, E208 - none of them works properly. E208 seems to be black listed -  BIOS beeps, no boot. P410/420 allow me to buiild an array of 4 SSDs, but either I'm not able to format the logical drive afterwards, or they do start reporting bad drives (even though adter the restart the drives are fine).

I'm guessing HP doesn't want these cards to be used here, so I need an alternative. Now, I have a question:

- Would an ADAPTEC ASR‑8405 work fine in here, or should I rather think of something LSI based (LSI 9271-8i)?
What are users' experiences?

I'm planning on RAID 5 of 3xSSD + 1xspare, or RAID 10 of 4xSSDs (using Samsung 850 2TB drives).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

the HP raid controllers you list are server models that are specific to certain models only and not general purpose or retail controllers and as such make very poor subuties for a general purpose controller

you might want to look at the ASR-71605, while slower than the other models listed below, it's quite cheap on ebay, supports all modern os's and up to 16 internal drives it supports ssd's and is a true passthrough JBOD controller and can support JBOD/RAID at the same time and uses a supercap for battery backup instead of the LSI disposable battery method

just make sure to get a 71605 with the onboard cache/battery module note that some are OEM using custom firmware and others are retail so if that's important to you ask the seller. i've personally never had a issue with OEM firmware but the possibility does exist depending on your specific software used

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adaptec-ASR-71605-1GB-16Port-HBA-RAID-PCIe-Controller-Card-w-Battery-4x-Cab...

the ADAPTEC ASR‑8405 is a 4 port pci-e 3 Raid/Jbod unit

the LSI based (LSI 9271) is a 8 port pci-e 2 Raid only card

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

the HP raid controllers you list are server models that are specific to certain models only and not general purpose or retail controllers and as such make very poor subuties for a general purpose controller

you might want to look at the ASR-71605, while slower than the other models listed below, it's quite cheap on ebay, supports all modern os's and up to 16 internal drives it supports ssd's and is a true passthrough JBOD controller and can support JBOD/RAID at the same time and uses a supercap for battery backup instead of the LSI disposable battery method

just make sure to get a 71605 with the onboard cache/battery module note that some are OEM using custom firmware and others are retail so if that's important to you ask the seller. i've personally never had a issue with OEM firmware but the possibility does exist depending on your specific software used

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adaptec-ASR-71605-1GB-16Port-HBA-RAID-PCIe-Controller-Card-w-Battery-4x-Cab...

the ADAPTEC ASR‑8405 is a 4 port pci-e 3 Raid/Jbod unit

the LSI based (LSI 9271) is a 8 port pci-e 2 Raid only card

HP Recommended

Looks like 2016srv is supported. Adaptec offers same driver for 71605 and 8405 model. The're similar prices on eBay, so I'd go for 71605.

Question is - is this going to work with Z1 G5? In theory, it should no problem. In fact, HP keeps using BIOS whitelists...

Strangely enough, Adaptec's 'Installation guide' doesn't explain which cables to use. Checking the web tells me it should be:

SFF-8643 to 4X SATA cable

or

SFF-8643 to 4X SATA+power cable ?

HP Recommended

if you reread my first post it states i've used thes cards without any problems on numerous systems including the HP workstation line

you need a  one to three SFF-8643 "FORWARD TYPE" to 4X SATA cable(s) do not get reverse type, they will not work for you

interface cables are offered with/without power choose the one that suits your needs, i personally use the workstations power connectors to power internal drives however if you lack sufficient internal power connectors for the drives buy sff cables that include the drive power splitters

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Internal-SFF-8643-Breakout/dp/B01BW1U2L2

HP Recommended

Much appretiate your help.

I'm on a search for one on eBay now and will, of course, come back with the result, when I have that installed.

Not sure how to distinguish forward from reverse type - would this be the right one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SamTones-Internal-SFF-8643-Target-2-Packs/dp/B08LGNGF78

When I mentioned powered one I ment this:

CableDeconn SFF-8643 Internal Mini SAS HD to 29pin: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

- they're quite handy to use, just not sure if fits...

HP Recommended

yes, it will work as it's a forward type (says target = SATA) and the description also states not for backplane configurations

backplane= Reverse

raid card or raid on motherboard = forward

also your listed sff cable has no power jacks

HP Recommended

Hi,

Controller has arrived. I tested it out today. Just the controller seems work in Windows, but when I connected drives with this cable:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CableDeconn-SFF-8643-Internal-SFF-8482-connectors/dp/B07B9SBSVW

Win2016 doesn't start - it stays on the spinning circle (right after post) forever. I'm going to try getting a cable with no power connectors, just SATA, and test it again. Found one that is confirmed to work with 71605 in the customer reviews.

I'm  a bit worried - it was exactly same way with P410/P420 controllers, they stopped working right after connecting the drives to it.

Additionally, I'm having problems with maxView storage management app. It doesn't load because CIM Srever service not running. When I try to start it manually it fails with: Error 1053. Tried extending time to 60000ms in regedit, but still the same thing. But I'll try to make sure the controller works fine here, first. Will worry about this one later.

HP Recommended

the sas cable you reference should work as they state it's a controller to drive (forward) and  not a controller to backplane (reverse)

for this connector, you connect  power  to the  cables 4 drive connectors which then connect to the drives i've not used this type as it's possible to connect the power cables backward

next when you install just the controller are you able to see the adaptec controllers prompts on the workstation's screen when booting and able to enter the cards bios?

you should not get a out of option rom space error when the card is installed

also only the workstations SATA emulation should be enabled with AHCI enabled if there is a embedded onboard LSI  controller try disabling it in the workstation bios

HP Recommended

Yeah, I thought this cable would work, but no joy...

I used the kind of cable before, with HP controllers, never a problem, but maybe this one is specific. Gets really bad reviews on Amazon, which I haven't noticed before purchase.

I don't event see  the option to enter Adaptec controller's prompts. I don't even see them. Not sure why, it skips to booting up the OS right away. Workstation doesn't seem any option in the BIOS that would regulate that...

I'm not able to switch the onboard controller off, the OS sits on it.

HP Recommended

disconnect all attached drives (including the OS drives) and remove all other cards except for the video and adaptec card

now power on and you should see the HP enter bios text and then the adaptec card enter bios text

until you can see/get the prompted "press Ctrl+A to enter the BIOS configuration utility" message your not going to be able to use/configure the card. 

when prompted press Ctrl+A to enter the Adaptec BIOS configuration utility.

http://download.adaptec.com/pdfs/user_guides/adaptec_raid_controller_iug_12_2013.pdf

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.