Dan_D86
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

HP Z1 windows/ubuntu installation problems

HP Recommended
HP Z1 g1

Hello everyone,

I am the pround owner of a HP Z1 G1, E3 Xeon, 16gb ram, Quadro 4000m, 240gb SSD.

It served me well for a few years until in crashed recently (video froze, followed by a hard restart). After a repair install (Win 8.1) the screen resolution was stuck at 1024x768 so i decided to go for a fresh install.

Windows 8.1 got stuck at the start: it couldn't find/use the partition, even after a cmd diskpart. Ubuntu does something similar, the setup starts, but freezes before i can choose install/try.

Also, during the start-up, some random character backgrounds in the back are green.

The bios diagnosticts showed the ram and hdd are ok.

So, is the graphics card fried or there is some other problem?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
blisterx1
Level 1
12 9 0 0
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

if your Xeon-Processor has integrated graphics, then remove the additional garphics card to see if the problem is on the addtional graphics card.

regards

blisterx1

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Dan_D86
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a Xeon E3-1280 with no integrated graphics, so the computer does not start without the graphics card in...

blisterx1
Level 1
12 9 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hi, OK, it seems that the graphic card shows the problem. HP offers a test utility for Z1 where all modules can be tested especially the graphic card. The utility can be found under HP Z1 support/driver and can be burned on CD and booted from the CD. Alternatively you can boot a different OS (e.g. Ubuntu or Linux etc .) via USB and check if it is working? If no, then exchange your graphic card. Regards
Dan_D86
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice!

Ubuntu does not want to boot under any circumstances...

Best,

blisterx1
Level 1
12 9 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hi, pls. start the Z1, click ESC and open the Bios settings. Check whether under Secure Boot Configuration the following settings are checked: Legacy Support = Enabled, Secure Boot = Disabled. Save the settings and try again to boot a different OS
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation