Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z2 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All

Recently updated my SSD to a 1TB.  Did a full system restore I had created with Clonezilla.  During the restore I had to switch the BIOS to see Legacy devices to see the boot USB.  Everything restored great.  Switched BIOS back to Disable Legacy and Enable Secure Boot.  The only issue I have is that now I cannot see my Samsung T5 External SSD and a Seagate 4TB P/N 1K9APV-500 External Drive. 

Prior to the update I was able to see both devices through my powered USB hub.  I can still see my QNAP DAS (configured as JBOD) and all other devices (flash drives, DVD drive, etc...). 

In addition I tried to connect to the USB 3.1 ports and the USB C ports directly.  No luck.

As a test of the devices I am able to connect to my Specter X360 with both devices.  They read and write just fine.  This tells me there is something going on with the Z2 G3.

Have updated all drivers and used the HP Assistant to check for problems.  None reported.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK...Finally figured this one out.  It seems that as you plug and unplug various USB devices that if you have two devices that somehow got the same drive letter assigned and then you have them both plugged in at the same time Windows gets really confused.  Here is what fixed it in my case.

1.  Open Windows Disk Management (easiest way to find it is go to Windows Search and type "Disk Management").

2.  Look for a volume that does not have a drive letter assigned.

3.  Right Click on that volume and select "Change Drive Letter and Path".

4.  Select an unassigned drive letter.  Click OK.  and you should be done.

You can then open your file manager and you should be able to see the drive.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Ddave1977,

I'm not an expert in Secure Boot, but can't help wondering if Secure Boot is somehow not recognizing the HP OEM USB controller driver as certified, possibly compounded as the updated version does not match the one in the system image and/ or the problem is focused on the USB Hub .

1.  What are the notations in the Win10 [equivalent] of Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers > Generic USB Hub, TI USB Root Hub, TI XHCI Controller, USB Root Hub > Properties?  ~ Are all these devices "working properly"?

2.  Is it possible to try booting with Secure Boot disabled?

3. Is it possible to run a Repair Install of Win10?

I hope those more expert will comment.

BambiBoomZ

HP Recommended

Have tried with Secure Boot enabled and disabled.  No difference.  Will check into the install repair.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Tried the Windows repair.  Still no connectivity.

HP Recommended

OK...Finally figured this one out.  It seems that as you plug and unplug various USB devices that if you have two devices that somehow got the same drive letter assigned and then you have them both plugged in at the same time Windows gets really confused.  Here is what fixed it in my case.

1.  Open Windows Disk Management (easiest way to find it is go to Windows Search and type "Disk Management").

2.  Look for a volume that does not have a drive letter assigned.

3.  Right Click on that volume and select "Change Drive Letter and Path".

4.  Select an unassigned drive letter.  Click OK.  and you should be done.

You can then open your file manager and you should be able to see the drive.

Hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.