Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z2 G5 Mini
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Z2 G5 Mini with an i9-10900 and a Quadro T2000.

I'm currently having to run this with the case lid off to keep the CPU and fans in check. With the lid on the CPU is sitting at around 65c and jumping up to around 85c. This causes the fans to ramp up and down, which is unbearable and not usable in an office environment.

Has anyone else had this issue with this model and spec? The BIOS lacks any control or customization of fan speeds.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

In the picture below you can clearly see at which point I take the case top off, there is a significant drop in the average temperate

Untitled.png

HP Recommended

your listed temps are within the Intel stated thermal range as such there is no issue

your unhappy with the fact that the fans need to spin up rather fast and causes unacceptable noise in your opinion is something that is user subjective, each person is different in this regard

if fan noise or the running cpu temp bothers you then all i can suggest is that you replace the system with a system that has a larger case for better thermals Small Form Factor cases will run hotter due to the physical small size

not what you want to hear i'm sure but i suspect it's either that or hacking the existing system

also, buying a system with a ryzen cpu will also help as most of the 5000 series consume considerably less power than the intel cpu's and this means the system generates less heat and can be cooled by less aggressive methods

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.