Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z220 CMT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I was looking to upgrade my Z220 CMT graphics card from a Quadro 600 to potentially a Quadro P2000.

I understand that this is not on the list of recommended graphics cards but saw on a separate thread that someone has installed a GTX 1060 on a Z220 succesfuly. It was my understanding that the GTX 1060 and Quadro P2000 are made from the same base components.

Do you think this is likely to work? I read somewhere that there may be a BIOS issue but if this was the case then you would image the GTX 1060 would not worth either. Will the older computer bottleneck the GPU performance?

Thanks for the help

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

understand that HP only supports/certifies a  limited selection of video cards, however other cards will work as long as you keep within the systems power envelope

the only real limit you have is what the graphics card draws in power usage (watts)

as long as the replacement card draws no more than what the highest wattage card HP offers for your system

you are good to go

simply check the  HP "quickspecs" for your model system,  the fast card is usually the topmost one, but might be the bottom one then use google to find a review or the nvidia/amd product page for it and see what it draws in watts

in your case a p2200 is well withing the power requirements

HP Recommended

Thanks for that.

Looks like you could put up to 150W  whcih would mean a quadro p4000 should work too.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I am ok about the power consuption.

But I think that there is another main thing who can block you : the bios of the Z220.

be sure to update your bios with the latest version.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81001-81500/sp81309.exe

Best Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.