Ersh323
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

HP Z220 CMT can't downgrade BIOS

HP Recommended
z220
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I've upgraded BIOS with 1.85 version on Z220CMT, but it doesn't increase CPU fan speed (I've got 85C on all cores in OCCT test and 820rpm of CPU fan). But when I try to flash 1.83 (or 1.82, or 1.84) - hpqflash ( and dosflash) returnes an error and doesn't reprogramm BIOS. Have you any idea how to flash old bios or set up CPU fan speed?

2 REPLIES 2
DGroves
Level 11
4,483 4,466 406 933
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

your system is working as HP designed it there is no problem, however you might have a problem if you keep trying to reflash the bios, (why do people think a bios flash wil cure any/every issue under the sun?)

the latest bios has fixes for the spectre security issue and should not be downgraded. HP has put a lock on downgrading due to this and while it's possible to bypass the lock it's not recomended and the procedure can brick the system if you make, or do one thing wrong/out of order.

the linpack cpu test is designed to put a maxium load on the cpu as a thermal stress test to see if the cpu can work properly at it's top rated thermal specs, this is why you get a high cpu temp reading as it's by design!!!

under normal usage the cpu will never reach the same test temptures

so stop trying to fix what is not broken, and note that your system passed the linpack thermal stress test by operating normally during the linpack test

if you read the OCCT main web page it states, (and i quote:)

It enables you to fully test your computer's stability, using 4 different tests

got it? OCCT tests for stability by stressing the system and the only way to stress the system is to place a max load on it which far exceeds the normal cpu usage norms.

0 Kudos
Ersh323
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"under normal usage the cpu will never reach the same test temptures"

After 30 min of normal usage of Photoscan Professional  core temperature became 83-87C.  But Photoscan needs to work about 6 hours.  Do you mean that 87C in a normal CPU temperature? Only if you want to sell me another CPU.

With BIOS v1.83 CPU fan speed control worked better.  1200prm at 75C istead of 840rpm at 85C.

Now I can only increase fan idle speed and make my workstation sound like a vacuum cleaner.

Maybe there is something like "Advanced mode" in BIOS to point CPU aim temperature? AMI Aptio 4 BIOS (Z220 uses Aptio 4)  has a lot of thermal parameters but they are locked

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation