Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z240 Tower Workstation
Linux

Hi All,

I am scouting for a for an appropriate/supported internal SAS HBA/IT controller. I'd like to use SAS HDDs, but onboard support by the HP Z240 motherboard. I want to pool the SAS HDDs in Proxmox VE using ZFS's Software-based RAID.

As I need 4 SAS drives, I consider either a PCIex4 or a PCIex8 SAS HBA/IT controller (depending on availability and price).

Right now, I only have a graphics card on Slot#2-PCIex16. All other slots are available. My 3 questions:

1. Can I connect a "PCIe x8" SAS HBA controller card in the available Slot#4-PCIe x16[x4]? I am confused because if I take the HP installation sequence recommendations literally (see image below or link here), I am supposed to install internal PCIe storage in the Native M.2 PCIe slot or in Slot#3-PCIe x4 (which wouldn't work?!?).
  2. Can I just connect a "PCIe x4" SAS HBA controller card in the available Slot#3-PCIx4, without installing anything in the Native M.2 Slot?? Again the HP installation recommendations are a bit confusing.
  3. Can I connect a "PCIe x4" SAS HBA controller card in the available Native M.2 (PCIe x4) Slot? I am not sure if this is possible without some kind of an adapter.

bitsnbytes2_0-1634719168869.png

It seems to me that I could connect the HBA controller wherever it fits, but I just wanted to double check!

Thanks a lot!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

if you don't plan on installing any other cards except for the HBA card then yes any slot is fine

however if you plan on adding a video card or any other card, then following HP's recommended card slot assignment will usually produce the best results which is what "itsmy name" also pointed out

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@bitsnbytes2 -- your chart seems to recommend the best order for physically inserting various components, along with specifying which slots are best for a specific card, e.g., use the X4/X16 slot for a ultra-high-speed PCIe 10 Gbit/second NIC.

HP Recommended

if you don't plan on installing any other cards except for the HBA card then yes any slot is fine

however if you plan on adding a video card or any other card, then following HP's recommended card slot assignment will usually produce the best results which is what "itsmy name" also pointed out

HP Recommended

I will probably install another PCIex4 Gb Ethernet card (4 ports x 1Gb) on slot 3 (x4) and then the PCIex8 HBA SAS card at slot 4 (x16[x4]). I expect the HBA SAS card will not reach maximum performance due to it being installed in an electrically smaller slot, but I hope it will be enough for my SAS HDDs nevertheless.

I know that this setup *usually* works, so fingers crossed!

HP Recommended

the adaptec 71605 series and most LSI SAS/SATA raid cards (but not all) will work in a 4x config instead of 8x

keep in mind that if only using 4 drives on the raid card instead of 8, or if only using a 4 port card, it will still allow full speed xfers using a pci-e x4 slot as the available drives connected to the raid card will not exceed the 4 pci-e lines max data speed 

if all you want is to add more SATA ports then a LSI-92xx card with non raid firmware will be fine,.. if you need raid, skip this line

if you need JBOD/Raid,.. skip the LSI cards and use the adaptec 71605

i personally prefer the adaptec 71605 card as it allows RAID/JBOD at the same time unlike most LSI raid cards which are raid only...........important:  the low-end LSI ROC 9240 based cards are no faster than the z840's onboard LSI raid chip due to them lacking a hardware parity processor and no ram cache/battery backup and are quite slow in any parity raid mode

highpoint also makes a HBA/Raid card in their rocket raid brand

https://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/main.htm

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.