Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

The 4 DIMM slot version 1 Z400 is not engineered to run the X56XX or the W36XX series processors, but the 6 DIMM slot version 2 Z400 is.  There is a single sSpec code for the X5675 processor, and you can look up SLBYS on eBay to see what they are currently going for.

On page 1 of this thread you will see Dan_WGBU answering about using the later processors on the earlier version of the Z400.... he is an excellent HP engineer who has contributed many times in this forum, and has access to the inside info.  You might get one of those later processors to work in the 4 DIMM slot earlier version 1 Z400 but unless you're just using that workstation for surfing the net and doing some simple stuff then I'd not risk it.  I have received feedback from a few forum members who tried it and thought it worked, and later they posted that they had some instability mixed in.

Of interest..... on reading some HP literature about the Z400 and Z600 recently I discovered that the memory controller is actually integraged into the processor for this generation of workstations.  There are some types of memory I have been able to use in my version 2 Z600s but not in my version 2 Z400s.  When I have enough spare time I'm going to test if one of the 2 fastest processor from a version 2 Z600 can work in the version 2 Z400 and allow the memory I speak of to also work in the Z400 version 2.

The latest BIOS for the Z400 and Z600 is 3.60, released by HP 4/14/16.... you should upgrade to that whether you have a version 1 or a version 2 Z400 or Z600.  It is the exact same installer for all 4.

HP Recommended

Thank u for your post-for ver. 1 -the 4 dimm - HP Z400 which are the fastest cpu's ? Just to confirm. Thank you. BTW your answer opened my eyes to issues (which I will research). Best Tony

HP Recommended

hi just to ask how you got on with the w3480 cpu -was it noticeably faster than prior one (which was?) . I have just got a z400 with w3440 & was thinking og cpuupgrade thanks

HP Recommended

Not sure why you refer to a "W3480" processor or a W3440.... there are no such processors.  Use the free program CPUZ to know what processor really is in your workstation.... you can download that from CPUID.com.  They also have an excellent HWMonitor, free version, too.

For the version 1 (4 dimm slots) Z400 the single processor I would advise currently is the W3580.  This was officially listed in the HP QuickSpecs for the Z400 version 1 (see version 24 of the QuickSpecs, for example), and it has the benefit of being able to run at the higher clock speeds that will allow properly selected memory to run at 1333 MHz.

The W3580 has a single sSpec code of SLBET, which you can look up on eBay to find current prices.  Those are running about $28.00 USD today.  The W3580 cost was about 1100.00 USD when released.

HP Recommended

hi how did u get on with X5675 on the older ver. Z400 over the longer term....Regards, Tony

HP Recommended

I have a Z700 workstation with 4 memory slots. With bios ver 3.60  have installed intel w3690 cpu and works wonderfully

whith 16 (4x4) gb ecc udimm memories.

Now a have bios ver 3.61. 

After that I think it can work whith cpu X56** (X5690).

I do not have the chance to try that cpu.

HP Recommended

I have a Z400 workstation with 4 memory slots. With bios ver 3.60  have installed intel w3690 cpu and works wonderfully

whith 16 (4x4) gb ecc udimm memories.

Now a have bios ver 3.61. 

After that I think it can work whith cpu X56** (X5690).

I do not have the chance to try that cpu.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.