cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Krovka
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

HP Z400 restarts unexpectedly (without windows boot)

HP Recommended
Z400
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a second hand HP Z400, using it whit Asus 560 GTX graphics card. (But tried to solve the problem with the oem nVidia 3700 and nVidia 730GT)

A week ago it started randomly restarts (without any blue death or something, like when you push the restart button).

Now it is unable to start because it wont reach the windows loading screen. Before that it restarts.

Is it a known problem? 

I tried to update the BIOS but when I opened the bios and tried to find the bius update it restarted itself again... 

Hard to understand that. Is it a PSU issue? Or? 

Thank you for your answer.

7 REPLIES 7
DGroves
Level 11
4,712 4,683 444 995
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

why oh why do people think that a bios update is the cure all for anything that goes wrong on a computer?

you have a unstable system that randomly reboots, and you want to try flashing a bios so that it can reboot during the update and leave you with a non working system? go right ahead be my guest it's not my system!

you need to stop guessing at random what might fix the issue and start troubleshooting things in order, in the long run it will produce better results

1.  can you get to the bios screen and simply let it sit there,  (change nothing) for 15min, can you now exit and restart normally?  if so the hardware is most likely fine

2. can you start windows in safe mode? IE- will windows load to allow you to activate safe mode

if not then back up data and try a Full "clean" reinstall of windows

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Krovka
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Unfortunatelly I'm unable to reach the bios screen in 1 / 10 times...

But if it reaches it restarts after a few seconds...

Z440Roger
Level 5
165 159 12 46
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

why oh why do people think that a bios update is the cure all for anything that goes wrong on a computer?

probably because the HP Support won´t even start trouble shooting a computer before the end user updates the BIOS. I worked as a HP workstation reseller a couple of years and when a computer had for example a bad fan of the graphics card, HP Support refused to replaced it unless i updated the BIOS on the computer. The fan on the graphic card physically were damaged and it sounded like a propeller plane...

I have had many discussions with the HP Support about this, but they refuse to change their mind. They do stronly think that any issue can be solved by an BIOS update. So in the end i did always update the BIOS before i called them since i knew that they will demand me to do it no matter what. Sad but true...

DGroves
Level 11
4,712 4,683 444 995
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Z440Rodger  here's lesson one in PC repair,....................

you do not attempt a bios upgrade on a system that is unstable and reboots at random

you seem to have missed this part in my reply to the original  poster

yes, HP might (but not allways) ask for the current bios revision sometimes and IF THE SYSTEM IS STABLE might request a bios update depending on the issue the person is having, i have over 15+ years in "IT" working for a company that is HP authorised and we deal with HP engineers/support staff on a weekly basis  and have never encountered a HP support person recomending a bios flash on a unstable system which is rebooting at random

your suguestion to the "OP" that flashing a bios update is ok or should be done when his system reboots at ramdom is ill advised and can lead to even more problems, like a bricked non working system if it reboots during the bios update

Z440Roger
Level 5
165 159 12 46
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

your suguestion to the "OP" that flashing a bios update is ok or should be done when his system reboots at ramdom is ill advised and can lead to even more problems, like a bricked non working system if it reboots during the bios update

I did never advise anyone, let alone the OP to upgrade the BIOS. Re-read what i wrote.

I was just writing down my own experience over the years with HP Support in Sweden and their obesession with BIOS upgrades as a fix for any problem though it is not. I did never write that upgrading BIOS always is the right thing to do, and i did not write that you had it all wrong or that the OP or anybody else just shall upgrade the BIOS no matter the state of their machine. I don´t understand how you could miss that.

DGroves
Level 11
4,712 4,683 444 995
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i did not miss anything, ...however i will quote directly the sentence where you tell us you allways update the bios before calling hp

Quote:

I have had many discussions with the HP Support about this, but they refuse to change their mind. They do stronly think that any issue can be solved by an BIOS update. So in the end i did always update the BIOS before i called them since i knew that they will demand me to do it no matter what. Sad but true...

in effect you are telling readers that it's ok to update and that this should be done before you call hp no matter what the problem you are having is

and since this person stated that his system reboots at random, your statement to UPDATE THE BIOS BEFORE CALLING HP

is ill advised

Z440Roger
Level 5
165 159 12 46
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Come on, i did write about my own experience with HP support and did never urge anyone to upgrade their BIOS. I simply wrote down my own experience and how stubborn HP support can be. I did never advise/urged anyone in this thread to do it.

And i did not answer the TS, i did answer your question.

Lighten up and don´t scream!

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation