Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z420 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

My organization is going through a Windows 7 to 10 upgrade and I am running into an issue with the Z420. I have about 100 of these throughout my environment and I've seen this issue on about 10 of them so far. I use SCCM OSD to deploy the Win10 image, and in the task sequence I am editing BIOS settings, the major changes are disabling Legacy and enabling UEFI and Secure boot. After the BIOS changes are made, the machine is then stuck in a reboot loop with no video. The only fix is to press the CMOS button on the motherboard. The machine is using the most current BIOS J61 3.91. If I enable UEFI and Secure Boot manually, I am able to image to Windows 10 no problem it's only an issue when SCCM changes the settings. I'm using HP's BIOS config utility to make the change.

Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

When changing the secure boot settings the system requires a manual input to confirm/approve the changes.

Without this input it will set the settings back to how they were before.

I am an HP Employee. All views expressed are my own.
HP Recommended

first of all you are not using the latest bios, you are using the previous release that may have issues due to intel releasing code that was known to cause random rebooting while trying to resolve the "specture"  issue this firmware was pulled by HP do to this problem please update to the current revision which is also posted on the z420 driver page besides the direct link posted below

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05869091

HP Z420/Z620 Workstation
SP84163
HP Recommended

I am having exactly the same issue with our Z620 and Z820's.  They have got the latest BIOS update available now 3.94 and this is still an issue.  As per MJ_S advice there should be a pop-up to accept the change, our Z620's and Z820's do not have a popup message after the reboot and change. I am only making 2 changes, setting Legacy Support to Disable and Secure Boot to Enable.  Rather than use a file with the changes in, I have also tried to use a command line using BIOSConfigUtlity for each setting to modify manually. This also does not work on reboot.  It does however work if I start up in a WinPE environment, set Legacy Support to Disabled, reboot workstation, startup a WinPE environment again and set Secure Boot to Enable, reboot AGAIN then the task sequence continues.

This needs to be done without intervention but struggling to work it out.  Did you have any further luck MarceTek?

Thanks

Carl

HP Recommended

Apologies for not updating this thread, we did find a fix that involves changing the Video Option ROMS to Legacy from EFI. The issue appears to be related to the video card, when you switch the BIOS to UEFI it also changes the video ROM to EFI which can cause the reboot issue. In some cases the option to change this isn't visible in the BIOS, in those cases we still need to manually hit the CMOS button on the motherboard. If anyone has any idea why this option is sometimes not visible let me know. 

Image result for HP420 video rom

HP Recommended

Got some more information on this. The "Video Option ROMS" only appears when secure boot is off, so if you're not seeing it, disable secure boot. The only way to fix this is to upgrade your video card to UEFI compatible one. 

HP Recommended

Apologies for not updating this myself but I have had some luck recently on revisiting this issue, which appears to be related to the upgrade of the Windows ADK and SCCM.  The constant reboot is no longer an issue and successfully changes to UEFI mode before the boot image is used for Windows PE. to continue the build. There has been no updates to the BIOS since raising the issue so I can only put it down to SCCM/ADK change, all packages / scripts have remained the same. SCCM used is Current Branch 1902, the Windows PE version in the SCCM console for the boot image is 10.0.17763.1.

Hope this helps someone else

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.