Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have been a long time (unregistered) lurker amongst this forum but I have not been able to find the definite answer to my question.... so hopefully someone out there will be able to advise/ point me in the right direction!

I have a Hp z420 workstation, with a V1 motherboard - boot block 12/28/2011

I am looking at an Intel E5-2665, SR0L1 - I can see it referenced in version 33 of the datasheet, but I would just want a sanity check/ confirmation that I am reading it correctly and that it is supported (presuming any CPUs without V2 on the end will signify it will work with v1 motherboards?).

Is anyone out there able to put my mind at ease please?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

According to the Maintenance & Service guide, the Intel Xeon E5-2665 is supported. Page 21 chapter 1. The Xeon E5-2665 is a 115 Watt unit.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04205252

"Support for the Intel Xeon Processor E5-1600 Series and E5-2600 Series, including processors up to 150 W"

That Xeon processor is also shown as an installed option for the Z420 Workstation in the HP document at the link below this line.

http://img2.insight.com/graphics/uk/media/pdf/hp-workstation-z420-datasheet.pdf

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I'd look at the data sheet Erico provided you at the processors that were fastest and met your needs.  HP has not taken a processor off the list later so the current BIOS should support all those in that sheet.  Then look up those processors via google and find the Intel ark listing.  Go there to see the TDP wattage.  Go to Ordering and Compliance link on the left there to see the sSpec codes..... most of that era had 2 and you always would want the second later stepping.  Get the sSpec code for that and search via eBay for a good price and good seller, US if possible.

The wattage TDP value is there in the ark link.  115 would work with your current heatsink/fan.  If you got the W version from that list it is 150W.  For that I'd use my discovery of the Z440 heatsink/fan fitting on the v1/v2 sockets and get one of those.  I've posted all about that in here.... it has almost exactly twice the cooling fin area, one extra cooling tube, and fits perfectly.  You'd want to add in a front fan and ideally the air flow guide for best cooling.

Finally, compare the Passmark total scores for all of those processors.  You might be inspired to upgrade from what you are looking at.  The E5-2665 gets 11744.  The E5-2687W gets 14334.  The E5-1660 gets 12215.  Do you really need an octocore?  If so why not go for the highest scoring one?

HP Recommended

Thank-you for your response and the links.

The question I had was was that chip suitable for a V1 motherboard. I was aware that this has appeared in the datasheets, but I was not sure if this processor was installed on a V1 motherboard, or a V2 one.

I have purchased one for testing, so hopefully it will work!

Kind Regards,

HP Recommended

That processor if from the v1 Z420 timeframe.... it is for the v1 Z420.  All processors that work on the v1 Z420 will work on the v2 Z420.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.