Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Z440
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have an HP Z440 10-core unit that I'm trying to re-task as a massive storage / hyper-V experimentation unit. I purchased and installed Seagate ST8000NM0055 8TB 7200 RPM SATA HDDs and configured it in a RAID configuration.  In the first month, I had a HDD failure (the drives were brand new). I noted as I opened the case that the HDDs were generating a LOT of heat and I suspect that is part of the failure reason.  Are there any standard solutions for the HP Z440 series or 3rd party solutions that will help me increase the cooling in this unit?  The configuration is 3 of the 8TB units installed in the 3.5" bays.  I haven't put a thermometer on them, but I can't physically touch the drive comfortably. I put on some anti-static knit gloves to handle them.

Any products that are available, that you've personally tried, or even just heard of will give me a place to start before I lose another drive.

Thanks,

Jeff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

7200 and 10k drives due to their high spindle speeds by nature run hot and this is normal.... i recommend you look at the drive specs for the model you have and note it's normal operating temperature, and you will see it's a high number compared to 5200 rpm drives or 2.5 sized drives

hp specs both 2.5 and 3.5 7200 rpm drives as a factory configs so it's well within the cooling ability of the case

https://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04400038.pdf

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

How large is the power supply you are using?  Maybe the power supply is over worked.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

7200 and 10k drives due to their high spindle speeds by nature run hot and this is normal.... i recommend you look at the drive specs for the model you have and note it's normal operating temperature, and you will see it's a high number compared to 5200 rpm drives or 2.5 sized drives

hp specs both 2.5 and 3.5 7200 rpm drives as a factory configs so it's well within the cooling ability of the case

https://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04400038.pdf

HP Recommended

Hi, yes, the 7200 RPM and 10K RPM disks tend to run hotter. My main goal here is to lower the temperature to increase longevity of the components. I'm hoping there is a solution that will allow me to provide more cooling.  It may have just been bad luck that I had a drive fail within the first month, but I figure it can't hurt to lower the temperature.  Any thoughts on how to do that?

@Repairatrooper I think it's the 522W PSU.  I might be missing something. How could the PSU affect the hard drives overheating?  Is there some relationship that I haven't run into before here?

Thanks,

Jeff

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.