Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP z440
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I have HP Z440 workstation with Quardo k2200 graphic card, i want to upgrade my graghic card to be 8GB 

what is the best Quadro Model i can use and my workstation can handel ? 

i'm using my workstation in video editing, i'm using adobe prodects ( premire, after effect, media encoder, photoshop)

so i want the render speed to be much faster.

Intel xeon E5-1620 v3 3.5GHz

memory 32 GB

Quardo k2200 

PSU 700W

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

does your software actually need a quadro cards openGL rendering speed or can you use a normal consumer display card?

the quick rule of thumb is to look at what HP offers as the fastest ( usually the most expensive )for the system and note that models power draw in watts, and simply make sure the replacement card is within 5 watts (or less) of that card

HP Recommended

hello dear,

i'm using my workstation in video editing, i'm using adobe prodects ( premire, after effect, media encoder, photoshop)

so i want the render speed to be much faster.

and becuse i have workstation, the best cards for me is Quardo.

yes my PSU is 700 watt, but can i upgrade it ? and get a haghier GC.

HP Recommended

alsamarraie, i use the same Adobe products and the only reason to use a Quadro card is if you need 10-bit output to a 10-bit monitor. Mind you that 999 out of 1000 users do not even have a 10-bit monitor, so if you are one of those 999 users you do not need a Quadro card since it does not peform "better"  or "faster" than an ordinary Nvidia GTX card. So don´t waste money if you don´t really need to.

I used a Nvidia GTX 980 in my Z440 and changed later to a Nvidia GTX Titan X (Pascal) and did cut the render times for 4K video in half when downscaling to 1080.  It do also depend on what you render from and what you render to, so in many cases a new graphic card won´t do much difference if you have media on the timeline that is CPU intensive to decode or if the codec you export to is CPU intesive.

Look for a GTX card with lot´s of VRAM and as many CUDA cores as possible, such as the 1080 Ti. (For 4K lot´s of VRAM is essential, for 1080 not as essential.)

I have used Nvidia GTX cards in my HP Workstations for years without any issues. 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi Z440Roger

i took my workstation to computer shop, we they check it they told me not to use any nvidia GTX series.

because of i have a quardo k2200 and it's better or equal in berformance with a 8GB 1070 GTX.

they told me to look for a Quardo GC because I have workstation with xeon processor for getting better

performance .

if find this GC 

http://www.pny.com/nvidia-quadro-m4000?sku=VCQM4000-PB

and it's similar in price with 8GB 1070 GTX. is it ok ?

thanks for your time and support 🙂

HP Recommended

Xeon does not per se make the Quadro card magically perform better. Ask them for any evidence...

Keep in mind that they are sellers and they do more profit from you if you buy a more expensive Quadro card instead of a cheaper GTX card. They are more interested in your money than your performance.

The GTX 1070 8GB have 2432 CUDA cores while the Quadro K2200 have only 640 CUDA cores. Adobes Mercury Playback engine uses all CUDA cores you throw at it. So, the GTX 1070 8GB outperform the K2200.  The GTX 1070 8GB will give you better performance (faster render times) than the Quadro M4000 as well.

Premiere Pro, Media Encoder uses Adobes Mercury Playback engine and After Effects do port more and more filters so they can use Adobes Mercury Playback engine. Some filters in After Effects use Adobes Mercury Playback engine today.

Read more about GTX vs Quadro from Adobes hardware forum for Premiere Pro: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/939738

HP Recommended

i recommend you find another shop that is more knowledgeable, as i mentioned previously a quadro card is not allways the best choice (workstation or not) it's what software and how that software is used that determines if a quadro or firepro OpenGL based card is the best choice

the quadro k2200, is basically a nvidia 750 TI card (both cards use the same hardware only the drivers are different)

as you have been told using a titan-x or a gtx980 or a gtx1080 will be a much better choice for your current software usage

HP Recommended

dear DGroves & Z440Roger

when i went to the shop he recommended me to buy the quadro although he have the GTX and don't have the Quadro.
and i did some research on the internet i found the Quadro is better thant GTX in video editing, tho GTX is better in Gaming.

you can check the following links

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10532978/difference-between-nvidia-quadro-and-geforce-cards

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37/~/difference-between-geforce-and-quadro-gpus

thanks for your time and support 

HP Recommended

and i did some research on the internet i found the Quadro is better thant GTX in video editing,

Thats wrong, but you seem to have made up your mind and did not read the link i provided earlier. I don´t see anything in the links that say that Quadros are better for video editing. The link you provided talks about CAD/3D software. Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects are not CAD/3D.

I sold Adobe/Apple/Avid video editing systems for 8+ years so i guess i am in the know-how when it comes to video editing, HP Workstations and graphic cards iow Quadro vs GTX performance wise.

Buy the card that makes you feel right. 🙂

HP Recommended

I also did IT support for over 10+ years and quadro cards/drivers are of limited use in premire/photoshop for most users

although there are some cases where it provides some performance increases in premire if you use those functions that support it but most users don't use these functions and therefor the cards possible benefits remain unused.

i again strongly recomend you go onto adobe's web site and ask in the user forums there if the tasks you are "or wanting)"to do

will get the most benifit for a normal consumer card with more vram/cuda cores or if a quadro card with openGL drivers will perform best for your usage patterns

and z440rodger is correct, the link(s) you provided talk about cad/cam usage which is not the same as video editing using adobe products

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.