Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Workstation Z440
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everybody

I got an HP Z440 which was on Bios ver. 01.55 (23Apr2015) with a P420 Smart Controller.

PC was running Ok . - Boots from SSD on SATA and uses RAID as storage

Yesterday I upgraded BIOS to latest version v2.48 (11April2019)  and when PC is booting  initializes Smart Controller and then hangs.

Taken out the P420 Smart Controller and system runs fine 

A couple of questions

a) Any idea what is causing this problem ?

b) Is it possible to downgrade BIOS back to v1.55 or similar so I can get my system working with the P420 ??

c) If it is where can I get the .bin file (M60_0155.bin) in order to do the downgrade. I have searched on the previous versions Tab on the relevant page but it goes as far v2.32.

Thank you all for your time and effort to read and contribute

George

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Hello again
Just to report back to the forum - Here is my 2 cents :

After a nerve braking say and a strong wish to put the controller (and the PC) under the wheels of my car and hear withe pleasure the crashing sound I have found a solution to the problem.

I went to BIOS PC and specifically to PCI Express settings and I disabled in  the particular slot PCI Express slot ( Gen3 x8- Slot 4) the ability to download its Option ROM. 

Result : Everything runs fine. 
The only drawback on boot you do not have the chance to manage the array controller - But you can do this with HP Array Configuration utility (HP ACU), and/or with HPE Smart Storage Administrator.

P.S. When getting info from HP ACU for the Array Controller - all temperatures (i.e. Controller Temp, Cache module temp and Capacitor Temp) are reported 0 degrees. So there must be some kind of problem on sensor readings being conveyed to S/W. -  It could even be why the P420 option ROM was hanging - Remote but surely possible

Finishing my report I would like to thank anybody who read my post it but could not contribute or even bothered to..
Regards from sunny Athens
G.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended
Hello again
Just to report back to the forum - Here is my 2 cents :

After a nerve braking say and a strong wish to put the controller (and the PC) under the wheels of my car and hear withe pleasure the crashing sound I have found a solution to the problem.

I went to BIOS PC and specifically to PCI Express settings and I disabled in  the particular slot PCI Express slot ( Gen3 x8- Slot 4) the ability to download its Option ROM. 

Result : Everything runs fine. 
The only drawback on boot you do not have the chance to manage the array controller - But you can do this with HP Array Configuration utility (HP ACU), and/or with HPE Smart Storage Administrator.

P.S. When getting info from HP ACU for the Array Controller - all temperatures (i.e. Controller Temp, Cache module temp and Capacitor Temp) are reported 0 degrees. So there must be some kind of problem on sensor readings being conveyed to S/W. -  It could even be why the P420 option ROM was hanging - Remote but surely possible

Finishing my report I would like to thank anybody who read my post it but could not contribute or even bothered to..
Regards from sunny Athens
G.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.